Tascam 388 Tk 8 issue

Towser12

Hello. My 388 has developed a record issue with Tk 8 only. I can play back and erase previously recorded content on Tk 8, but when I try to record, I get nothing. I've swapped the rec/play pcb's, and the issue is on the 6/8 rec/play pcb, as it follows the card. All buss I/O's work as well as all VU's. Tk's 1-7 work as they should. I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the 388 uses relays to switch what the head is doing, and these sometimes get stuck. Most of the TEAC decks from that era do this, I'd be surprised if the 388 was any different.

Yes, looking at the schematic, I see 2 relays, k201 & k202, which may be the problem. They switch the rec/play function on the rec/play board, and might be stuck. I recorded tone with the boards in their proper slots, played back and got nothing on Tk 8. All other Tks were fine. I switched cards with the 1/3 card, recorded tone and got no playback on Tk 3. I flipped the tape to play the tone backwards and Tk 8 (which was originally recorded on Tk 1) does play back. Tk 8 on the 6/8 card does not record. My guts tell me it's k202. Probably a hard part to find. I do have the operatation/maintenance manual for parts reference.

Last edited:
Well, I replaced k202 and it did not fix the issue. I went ahead and replaced u203, which is an op amp chip, and that didn't work either. Still not recording on Tk 8. I couldn't find a replacement for relay k201 locally. I think that part or equivalent is available. Still looking for help.

Ok. It's fixed! Got the volt meter out and check every solder joint on the rec/play pcb for continuity, and found a bad trace. Jumpered the trace and back in business. I thank those who chimed in to help. Love forums like this.

Ah, good! I did wonder if it might be a cold solder joint, but that would definitely do it too. Glad you're back in business!

Back