Tascam 388 Story...

Mmmmm...can you re-check that? The feedback loop on that side of that opamp is a gain of 1...the output at pin 1 should be very close to the input at pin 3. What voltage did you get at pin 3 and where are you grounding your meter (where is the black probe)?

Are you sure you are getting the probes in the right places and that you are certain of what pin is what on U113?

I rest the black probe in one of the screw holes on the metal strip in the middle. If pin 1 is next to the dot on U113 and the pin numbers go around the chip in a 'U' shape then I should be getting the probe in the right places.

I measured again today and got the same results. Around 0.2V AC on pin 3 and 30V AC on pin 1 and 2.

Last edited:
No...you need to have the black probe on the ground for your oscillator input...you need to reference the signal ground.

Maybe so.

Best way to be able to access an input with a multimeter is to have a 'Y' cable on the input...one side goes to the mixer, the other you can use for your meter probes. Put the black meter probe on the shield conductor of the input cable and trace away.

[EDIT]

Actually, my head is on a little tighter now. Scratch what I said above except for "maybe so". Remember, you're dealing with an amatuer here...I will NEVER try to discourage you from taking it to a professional if that's where your comfort level leads you. Got a lot going on and I wasn't thinking clearly, though it was gnawing at me.

Get your probe that is connected to the COM jack on your multimeter connected to pin 7 or pin 8 of P102 on the BUSS A PCB. That's the connector on that board that connects to the M BUSS PCB, the one that goes all the way accross the bottom of the cards. Pins 7 and 8 are the 0V "ground" reference for the circuits on the BUSS A PCB. So if you like try that and recheck the tests using AC volts and DC volts as appropriate with 1kHz tone being routed to group 1.

Last edited:
Ok I'll try this as soon as possible.
It does feel like it might be time, it's just a question of finding someone willing and how much it will cost.

But thanks.

Ok I did the test again and I had the same results except I measured 10V DC on pin 13 of U109. Is that what I should be getting there?

Hm...Well, I think I'm now going to officially recommend you take it to a professional. Its just too hard for me to guide remotely at this point...sorry to bow out, but keep us posted and please, anybody, if you have any ideas chime in.

I think if it was my 388 I'd be tracing back to confirm that the right voltages are present and if they aren't dealing with that first, but it would just take a lot of time to do in this arrangement. Then if the right voltages are there but the right things aren't happening I'd start shotgunning components. A bit barbaric but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Yeah I think it is time to hand her over to a professional.
Just have to find one in my area who's willing and able.

Thank you for your time and help I really appreciate it.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

William Hooper.

What to do...

When your doc says you should stay off your feet and your body reinforces the admonition...

Took part of this weekend to finish recapping the 388...basically all the cards in the cardbay were not yet done with the exception of the servo cards and PSU. That left these to do:

100_1472_1_1.JPG

That's the bias cards, dbx cards, record/repro amp cards, balance amp and meter amp cards.

Ahhh...freshly recapped cards in the cardbay. So...that's done. Need to run this thing through a full setup and calibration since the heads have been lapped and all the caps are new. Someday I'll get to that.

100_1473_2_1.JPG

Yep! Not one stock cap left in the thing...BUT...the new caps are all stock values. No hot-rodding here, just new good quality caps throughout...Nichicon PW series for non-audio, KT series for audio-path polars and ES (MUSE) series for non-polar audio path.

I did all the less accessible stuff when I had it all apart ummm...last year? The thought was that I'd get to the top-end some other time but I made some other time happen I guess.

I plan on hot-rodding spare channel and amp cards sometime since I have a spare machine.

No, its not an issue with the operating level of the tape; the thing you are dealing with is calibrating the electronics. According to Tascam Analog support the difference in BIAS requirement is significantly different between 457 and LPR35. Usually you adjust the bias by turning up the level of the bias tone being put out by the bias amps and watching its effect on a high-frequency tone being recorded to tape, usually 10kHz or so. As the level of the bias goes up the HF tone being tracked to tape will decrease and most manuals state a certain amount of "over-bias" as the right bias level to be produced by the bias amp. Well, the 388 manual just says to measure the level of the current being produced by the bias amps and 150mV is it. But Tascam Analog Support tells me that was based on 457, and that LPR35 has a different requirement, and advised me to monitor the HF tone with a scope and set the bias level at whatever the minimum distortion level was. I haven't done that yet but I intend to and to then measure where the bias amps are at and then maybe 388 owners using LPR35 can use that figure...maybe its 175mV...maybe 250mV...I don't know. For now just follow the procedure in the manual...calibrate just like you would according to the manual and I'd say just use 150mV for now.
Did you ever figure out what the proper bias amp voltage for LPR35 is?

Selling out

Its time to cut the cord, figuratively speaking...

My 388 needs to find a home where it will get used. Its just sitting here and I have no idea when it will get used. Too many other projects and I just need to be free of it.

Posting up here first to see if any pacific northwest members are interested. I'd be willing to drive it a significant distance to deliver or meet a buyer (note I will be in the Tacoma/Seattle area in early June so if you are up that way or on the way from the Willamette Valley in Oregon that would be a great way to meet up and transact). I will not ship it.

If I don't get any interest here it will go on craigslist until the right buyer comes along.

What you get:

• Minty 388 as seen in this thread, FULLY recapped with Nichicon PW, KT and ES MUSE series caps, deep-cleaned ala sweetbeats, sync/repro head relapped, new pinch roller, new capstan belt, machine will be fully calibrated and setup at 250nWb/m with included LPR35 tape...this thing is 100% folks!
  • 5 reels of bulk-erased BASF LPR35 tape, the right stuff for this machine and non-SSS tape.
  • Refurbished RC-71 remote as seen in this thread.
  • Official Tascam reprint of the full Service Manual.

I'm also going to be parting out the parts machine I have here in the shop including the relapped headblock, but that will be a different post probably over in the FS forum.

I'm willing to hold out for the right buyer at the right price but anybody that has dealt with me here knows I am also very reasonable and I want to move this thing before I change my mind and it sits...and sits.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt you will find a nicer 388 package to come along turnkey ready from a more honest enthusiast, at least not anytime soon.

PM me with questions and/or offers.

spring cleaning time. i can relate.
If no one else takes it, i would be interested in the relapped headblock and maybe a few extra parts from the parts deck.

Wow!
It's too bad you are getting rid of it.
I just want to give you a huge thanks for putting so much time and detail into this thread.
It has been a great read.
Not sure if you're into shipping,but I might be interested in some parts too.

Wow!
It's too bad you are getting rid of it.
I just want to give you a huge thanks for putting so much time and detail into this thread.
It has been a great read.
Not sure if you're into shipping,but I might be interested in some parts too.

You're welcome on the info. I enjoy it too.

And you bet I'd be happy to ship parts. The 388 is the only thing I won't ship.

I'll post again when the parts machine is disassembled.

This is all first come first served so Zorf you are in line first, and then you're next, j.harv. If an interested party expresses interest in a particular item but we can't come to terms on price then that part goes on the available list again. That's how I'm gonna do it. Hope that makes sense. But I'll serve Analog Only folks first before going to other avenues.

Got the 388 moved from storage into the studio to do the calibration. I'll get it biased to LPR35 using my oscilloscope and get an answer to the question regarding what voltage output to set the bias amps at for LPR35.

Here it is at present:

IMG_0133_3_1.JPG

Back