Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tascam 388 questions

Thanks

Tascam 388 questions

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've got my eye on a Tascam 388 that is at a local music shop, and ive got a question or two about it. If anyone knows the answer or can tell me where to look, thatd be great. Does it have XLR inputs? if so, do they have phantom power? Can you bounce tracks or mixdown within the machine? What kind of inserts/effects loops does it have? are they any other quirks i should be aware of? Thanks for any help -
    Nick

Thanks
    8 XLR inputs, no phantom power, it has an effects loop, you can bounce tracks. Someone else will probably answer in more detail

Thanks
    Thanks!! That is helpful. If anyone knows any other resources, websites with full specs, maybe even a manual of some kind..thatd be great. Thanks!

Thanks

Arrow Tascam Parts dept. sells the 388 manual, @ (323) 727-8480

Ditto what wildflower soul said.

Also,... more specifically,...

Each of 8 mixer channels has a dedicated ACCESS_SND->RCV 1/4" patch point, as well as [2] (Global: 8x1) "Effects_Send->Rcv" sections on the mixer, with [2] "stereo returns". (Technically, 1- Effects_Snd & 1- Aux_Snd, but they're both functionally the same).

You may not understand the terminology I've laid out, but the 388 has more than adequate I/O for patching effects.

Thanks
    Well, we (my band and i) bought it today, and tested it out. in 2 words, its sweet. The quality is amazing compared to the computer we were using before. It's quirky, theres some things that i dont quite know how to do yet, and i will order that manual for sure. I'm kind of the recording guru with the band, but the whole analouge thing is a bit new to me. Thanks!

Thanks
    what do you need to know ask us --i have the manual

Thanks
    Right on, man! thanks. I've only played around with it for about an hour, its over at the band's practice space. After I do a little more work with it tomarrow ill have plenty of questions to ask. I think my first question would be what the proper procedure is to load/unload reels - I accidently rewound it too far today and it flew off one reel and i didnt quite know how to get it back on (i kind of just wrapped it around a few times until it didnt slip?) I also want to know how to mix down/bounce tracks (i could probably figure it out pretty quick, but if its easy to explain..)
    Also, i dont want to be a pain in the butt so if there is a book or website out there that explains the basics of reel-to-reel use and maintenance, I could just read that instead of asking dumb questions all the time.(then i can ask specific, intelligent questions) thanks for the help!
    nick

Thanks

Arrow Congrats on that!!! The 388's great, man!!!

To thread the tape,... hopefully you got it threaded correctly through the machine,... but you'd just hold the end of the tape on the reel, and hand wind it a few turns until it stays put. Nothing too technical.

(Search "388 Tape Threading" for explanation and pics of proper threading. Read down to the bottom, for the full scoop).

Bouncing,... is done by taking your existing tape tracks and routing them to another unused track. F/I, whatever tracks you want to bounce, you'd select that mixer channel to "TAPE". Then, you'd use the white PGM-ASSIGN buttons & PAN to assign each of those "TAPE" signals to the pgm-buss that corresponds to the empty target track. You'd also have to record-enable the target track you wish to use, (REC-FUNCT button: down). Mix to desired levels, and hit [record/play].

That's a bit of an oversimplification, but try it a couple times, and it should become clear.

Thanks
    Thanks! Heres my questions of the day: When i press fast forward, after about a second it starts going really really fast and wont stop when i press stop or play..i have to press rewind, then stop. Is this normal? Also, is it bad for it to rewind with the tape not lifted off the head?
    One more question (this is a super dumb one) How many times can tape usually be recorded over without a significant loss of quality?
    Thanks again -
    Nick

Thanks
    no tthat is not normal it should stop when you hit stop.However it is better to hit reverse or forward to slow the machine down.its easier on the brakes i think.Thats what tascam told me.
    Also if you use the load function you will not go off the end of the tape if your rewinding.Also use only 457 tape the thicker tape is not good for the head or the motor

Thread Information