tascam 388 problems

lofipower

okay, as a newbie to analog recording i am having some very fundamental problems with the tascam 388 i just bought from a member of this very community. when i follow the manual instructions on recording, just to see if i get any recording whatsoever, i dont. it could be a number of things i did or the machine could need some cleaning, but it looks okay right now to me. but since i have not had the machine for awhile i would just like to know whether this is a flaw with the 388 or am i just an idiot. i understand that further info might be needed to come to the conclusion so just post it in this thread and i'll try to answer any questions i can about the conditions.

lofipower said:
okay, as a newbie to analog recording i am having some very fundamental problems with the tascam 388 i just bought from a member of this very community. when i follow the manual instructions on recording, just to see if i get any recording whatsoever, i dont. it could be a number of things i did or the machine could need some cleaning, but it looks okay right now to me. but since i have not had the machine for awhile i would just like to know whether this is a flaw with the 388 or am i just an idiot. i understand that further info might be needed to come to the conclusion so just post it in this thread and i'll try to answer any questions i can about the conditions.

Well since you didn't provide too much info I will share that when I first got my Tascam 38 I also followed all the directions in the manual and it didn't work. I was really frustrated and then started looking around and found this black stuff in the tape path. The pinch roller had turned to goo. Like pure gummy sticky tar.

I got a new pinch roller yay and tried again and my 38 still didn't work. I got a little sound sometimes. Ilooked around in the tape path again and found this brown stuff all over the heads and rollers. My Ampex 456 tape was so old it was gooing up all over everything. I bought some new tape, the wrong kind btw, and everything worked then. I just always assume persoanl idiocy in these matters but sometimes it is accompanied by actual mechanical, elictrical or spiritual problems.

WHATEVER yanno?

good advice, but i doubt thats the problem

i think the problem is with tape threading...im taking reel's advice and reading up on how to thread the tape. if that doesnt work...i'll come back here to consult the experts for more help

Kiira - it wasn't the fact that your tapes were old. It sounds more like sticky-shed syndrome. I've played tapes from the 1940's and 1950's that sounded like they were just recorded the day before.

damn.

still no sound being recorded...i followed the advice for rethreading the tape.i did do it with the supply reel on the left...but i saw reel's pics and it had the take-up on the left. im pretty sure he said it didnt matter though. i hear audio coming through the mixing console but somehow it never makes it to the tape. the tape i just rethreaded with was brand spanking new quantex 499. i have no clue. i followed the manual's instructions for basic recording procedure...wonder what it is?

Ok i dont know if you have the manual or not and have tried these things or not so Il give it a shot.

1 make sure your mic is plugged into channel 1 on the back.
Also make sure that channel lever at the top is in the mic position
2 press the channel select button 1 2 on that channel and pan to the left.
3 Put your fader at the middle postion and at the top of that channel strip turn up the trim control to about half. This not the correct way to do this but for now its a good starting point.
4 Now to the right top corner of the mixer press the number one red button to the down position.
5 Make sure the orange faders are up to 3/4 of the way and the red one next to it is up 3/4 of the way.

Now see if it will record and see if you are getting levels on the meters

After you have recorded something you will need to put the lever at the top of the channel strip in to the Rmx position in order to hear any thing comming back from the tape.
Also you will need to go to the bottom of that channel strip and press the red button to hear anything from it.

I hope this helps, My first day with my 388 with out the manual was not pretty thing. I was having the same problems you are. ;)

herm i just tried what you told me and it didnt work...all i get is dead air. i wasnt putting it on rmx...so i figured that would be the problem but still no results. once i get my hands on the camera ill post a picture just so if anything is immediately and visibly wrong you or someone else could point it out..thanks for your help anyway

btw: i was using a line in (and compensated accordingly) instead of a mic. im low on mic cables at the moment. i did get readings on the track one VU meter as well as the stereo VU meter when recording. but none on either during attempted playback. i wonder what im doing wrong?

Last edited:
here are the pictures

these are the pictures of the 388...tell me if anything looks fishy

Attachments

• 388.JPG
    388.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
From your pictures, it appears that you have threaded it properly.

When recording, you must arm the track or tracks you wish to record on and properly assign them through the mixer channel routing system.

When recording, you must press the play and record buttons together. If you've done that much right, you should see solid red record lights on the track or tracks you are recording onto.

Through your monitoring system, you must have a cue mix set up so you can hear whats on tape for playback.

Did the previous owner indicate any issues with the machine?

Lofi,...

You may not select ANY "Buss-Assign" on ANY channel, at the same time that "STEREO-L/R" (assign) is selected. Doing so will cause a global mute, to the entire 388 monitor system,... which is a fundamental design feature that prevents an internal feedback loop from developing.
-------------

Here's a quick rundown of recording:
1) Plug mic into Channel 1, (all other channels N/C)
2) Set Channel 1 PAN to CENTER
3) Select Channel 1 Input to MIC, (all other channels: LINE)
4) Adjust TRIM for just below "OL", while speaking or playing into the mic.
5) Set Channel 1 Fader about "7"
6) Select BUSS 1/2 (Assign)
7) MAKE SURE ASSIGN L/R IS NOT SELECTED ON ANY CHANNEL
8) Set ALL Monitor Gain pots to about "7"
9) Set ALL Monitor Pan pots to "center"
10) Set PGM-MASTERS to about "7", (both)
11) SET L/R MASTER FADER TO about "7"
12) DEPRESS REC FUNCTION 1 AND 2
You should now see your mic-input signal registering on the VU METERS 1 AND 2, PLUS ALSO ON THE L/R-Stereo VU METERS. ADJUST, AS NECESSARY.
13) SET the MONITOR SELECT to "Stereo L/R"
14) SET the "Phones Level" to about 3
You may vary Channel 1's PAN, left and right, and see the corresponding change on VU METERS 1 & 2, also the STEREO-L/R VU meters.
15) Press RESET on Tape Counter
16) Press RECORD & PLAY,... (record your phrase or jam)
17) Press STOP, RTZ
18) UNSELECT RECORD FUNCTION 1 AND 2
19) Press PLAY
Your recorded signal should be coming off tape, through the monitor and Stereo L/R-buss, through the phones and to the Stereo L/R-Outputs on the back, as well as registering on the VU Meters 1 & 2, plus Stereo-L/R meters.
POINT: THE MONITOR USES THE STEREO L/R BUSS AS AN OUTPUT DEVICE, AND THEREFORE, YOU MAY NOT SELECT STEREO-L/R ON THE ASSIGN SWITCHES ON EACH CHANNEL, AT THE SAME TIME YOU SEND THE SIGNAL TO THE "ASSIGN-BUSS", [Assign 1-8], WHICH ALSO USES THE MONITOR. THIS WOULD CREATE A FEEDBACK LOOP UPON ITSELF, AND THEREFORE, IS A DESIGN FACTOR OF THE 388, TO MUTE THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, TO PREVENT THIS.
LOFI, if this step by step procedure does not get you recording, then let me know, and I'll review all details, when I have a time to sit down at the 388. This was all drawn up from memory.
NOTE: When the REC FUNCT is depressed DOWN, the signal comes into the Monitor through the INPUTS. When the REC FUNCT is UP, the signal comes through the Monitor from the TAPE.
NOTE2: ALL your signals, going to and fro, GO THROUGH THE MONITOR SECTION, AND THEREFORE, ALSO THROUGH THE STEREO L/R BUSS,... for most of your normal recording activities. Of course, there are other ways to set up and patch for signal routing that does not flow through the monitor section, but that's more advanced stuff, that's beyond the scope of this question.
NOTE3: Make sure DBX is engaged on both [1-4] & [4-8], all the time, for recording and playback, alike.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything! Try this procedure, and let me know!
Thx, /DA

Last edited:
i tried it..........

i tried your instructions on recording and was successful on all tracks but 1 and 3. actually, i figured it out a different way before i read your thing but then retried your thing and it worked just as well. since i had been trying on channel one the whole time before i was so confused as to why it didnt work. could the problems with 1 and 3 be with fuses or something replacable or is the damage most likely permanant? has anyone here experienced similar problems?

thanks

To The Best Of My Recollection,...

The audio card for 1 & 3 is common.

I'd suggest removing the top cover of the card-compartment, and make sure the audio cards are seated properly. This should be done with some care & caution.

FIRST, make sure the 388 is unplugged.

Then, IF any of the audio cards look like they are not seated properly, REMOVE THEM entirely from the backplane, inspect the pins on the motherboard, and CAREFULLY reseate the card back into the motherboard. That's to help avoid bending pins. If a card is not seated on the motherboard properly,... which would be a common problem from shipping,... then it's wise to remove it first, cause if you just jam it down without removing & inspecting it, you may bend some pins down there, which is something you'll want to avoid.

The AUDIO CARD FOR CHANNEL 1 & 3 IS COMMON, and would be the place to start looking. Likely, it just got jarred loose from shipping, and nothing more.

Facing the unit, with the cover removed, the 1/3 audio card should be the top/left-most card in the card cage.

thanks reel

all channels now work. i took out the audio board for channels 1 and 3, although it did not immediately appear to be loose and refastened it and tried to capture sound, and the results were very pleasing. thanks everyone for all your advice. i know just where to come when i have a problem. :D

Yeah, man!

That's great! Thanx!

The 388 is a fine choice in personal home recording,... formerly a small pro rig! That's like having your cake, and eating it too! It makes me laugh, to see that 8-tracks have devolved to the likes of the MR8, but that's another post, entirely! Heh.;)

/DA

Tascam 388 Major recording problem

I need some serious help with my Tascam 388. My problems started when i accidently let the tape wind off the reel. Everything worked fine before that. Since then i have encountered several problem with the tape playback and i seem to have fixed thoes problems but now I can't record. I have followed all the directions on recording you have all provided and nothing works. I know the tape is set up correctly, and the vu meters work on the channel i'm playing on but there is no working vu meter for stereo l/r. I only have semi-working meters on stereo l/r when a mic is plugged in and i smack on it. Nothing works when there is a line in. If someone can plese help me i am at my witts end. You can reply to this or send me an e-mail at Duece50@aol.com.

388 issues

I am new to this forum, I am hoping someone can help. I have 3 issues with my 388, one I have already found the solution for; please let me know if anyone knows any tricks.

1.) the receiving reel "hiccups" when you hit play or FF.
***this appears to be solved, this is 99% a blow fuse.

2.) My real issue, i have noise in my headphone / balanced outs. The sound is not being committed to tape but it is very distracting. When I run reverb thru the effect loop it increases the signal on the "dirt". Any ideas where to look? Where to clean? What to do?

3.) My counter doesn't work. This could be a fuse too; I am not too worried about this.

Phil

Back