Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Tascam 388 Prices?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by gobbltygoop View Post
    ... there weren't many other quality 8-tracks available in my area...
    Well...in the end, it's your choice, your decision...and sometimes you pay a little extra not for any added quality, but just for the convenience and to meet certain expectations.

I am a bit surprised that in in California...and especially so close to Frisco, where there are a lot of musicians and studios...that there weren't more options for you.
    I would bet that CA has more recording gear than the rest of the world combined.

Thanks
    Alright y'all, don't kill me...I ended up getting a 388 locally for $1700. The awesome dude that sold it to me is the second owner and just had it serviced. He gave me all the snake cables, controller and manual and stuff, as well as about $300 worth of drum machines and MIDI controllers, for free. .
    Enjoy! Sounds like a good deal to me

Thanks
    Alright y'all, don't kill me...I ended up getting a 388 locally for $1700. The awesome dude that sold it to me is the second owner and just had it serviced. He gave me all the snake cables, controller and manual and stuff, as well as about $300 worth of drum machines and MIDI controllers, for free. You guys definitely know your shit exponentially more then I do so I feel bad going against all of your advice, but the fact that was local was a huge plus for me, there weren't many other quality 8-tracks available in my area, and I wasn't comfortable with having one shipped. Anyways, so that's what I did. I'm planning on doing a lot of recording this weekend so we'll see how I like the thing! Thank you for all your help and advice, it is majorly important for me going forward.
    Awesome! If it doesn't give you any problems, you're gonna have a ton of fun working with it. Bought my first one about 9 years ago and it hasn't given me any major problems. A few gremlins, but nothing serious.
    Post some recordings if you feel like it.
    We've got bush,We've got bush!!!

Thanks
    #BlameDave.
    Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital recording is a pretty neat idea.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilljam View Post
    Funny how much of what you say about the 388 resonates with what a Tascam audio tech here in Melbourne was saying about the 388 as well.

His name is Zoran and he worked as an employee for Teac's professional division (TASCAM) as the head tech up until they closed up shop then was continued to be hired as a contractor specializing in repair of Tascam equipment. Nowadays he is retired but still works out of his shed fixing up everyone's old Tascam gear.

I brought over a very rough Teac 80-8 to him that had worn heads and he had about half a dozen spare, brand new Teac 1/2" 8 track heads which he uses to replace on all Tascam 1/2" 8 track machines (note that the heads on the 80-8 are interchangeable with 38/48/58/TSR8 heads just that they are not socketed so you have so solder each wire which he did).

He had all the original Teac test tapes from cassette format to 2", had all the cassette deck alignment gauges as you mentioned above and literally could open a museum of original Teac/Tascam test gear and spare parts.

Anyway he had a 388 opened up and in repair on his work bench and made similar remarks about the 1/2" 8 track format @ 15ips being such a big improvement over the 388 in terms of sound and robustness. Funny actually that he sells fully re-furbed machines (with warranty) sometimes as well and prices the 1/2" 8 track ones higher than the 388 (as you would expect). I think he said a fully refurbed 80-8 he sells for about $3000AUD, obviously not eBay prices.
    The 80-8 heads are not exactly compatible with the heads for the 38/48/58/tsr8. Track spacing and guard band widths are different, so if you put a 80-8 head on a 38, your older stuff recorded would have crosstalk and track level problems. 38/TSR-8 heads are different than 48/58 heads too. You can make them work,but not as good as the originals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wkrbee View Post
    38/TSR-8 heads are different than 48/58 heads too. You can make them work,but not as good as the originals
    Sorry, I very respectfully ask how you have concluded this? I believe the heads on the Tascam 38/48/58/TSR8 all have the the exact same part number.

Potentially the crosstalk and track level problems you experienced are more to do with inconsistencies/variations in manufacturing rather than a change in head design? Or if you are not comparing brand new heads, they will obviously have different wear patterns which will affect the track levels.

Thanks
    You are 100% correct about the 38/48/58/TSR-8 heads. I was thinking of the ATR 60-8 R/P heads. I was told by the Engineering Dept at Teac/Tascam- where I worked for a number of years- about 80-8 head incompatibility.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wkrbee View Post
    You are 100% correct about the 38/48/58/TSR-8 heads. I was thinking of the ATR 60-8 R/P heads. I was told by the Engineering Dept at Teac/Tascam- where I worked for a number of years- about 80-8 head incompatibility.
    Actually the 80-8 heads *are* different...I think...wasn't the 80-8 the last generation Teac 1/2" 8-track with distinct gap spacing for the sync head and reproduce head? All those other machines use the same headstack for the sync and reproduce heads (i.e. same gap spacing), but I thought the 80-8 was a traditional setup with unique gap spacing for each headstack...? With the introduction of the 38 and 58 in the early 80s came a next generation head assembly with thinner laminations eliminating the need for the gap optimization.

Oh, and to the OP on the topic of the thread, hey, man...if you're enamored with your 388, just be happy. If you feel good about what you paid and its what you wanted then let me be the last to crap in your pool. I just know the 388 is not for me, but that's me. Take care of it and it'll take care of you...it'll need TLC like all tape machines, and along with its unique feature set come some unique maintenance/repair challenges, but it is just that...a unique machine. Hope you enjoy it and congrats.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Actually the 80-8 heads *are* different...I think...wasn't the 80-8 the last generation Teac 1/2" 8-track with distinct gap spacing for the sync head and reproduce head? All those other machines use the same headstack for the sync and reproduce heads (i.e. same gap spacing), but I thought the 80-8 was a traditional setup with unique gap spacing for each headstack...? With the introduction of the 38 and 58 in the early 80s came a next generation head assembly with thinner laminations eliminating the need for the gap optimization.

Oh, and to the OP on the topic of the thread, hey, man...if you're enamored with your 388, just be happy. If you feel good about what you paid and its what you wanted then let me be the last to crap in your pool. I just know the 388 is not for me, but that's me. Take care of it and it'll take care of you...it'll need TLC like all tape machines, and along with its unique feature set come some unique maintenance/repair challenges, but it is just that...a unique machine. Hope you enjoy it and congrats.
    Sweetbeats, that's really nice of to say man, thank you! I hope I enjoy it to, it's a nice push forward into recording with tape.

Thread Information