Tascam 388 Playback Problem

8trackshack

So i've just got a 388 out of the classifieds, didnt have any tape to test, but it was cheap enough so i bought it anyway.

I've loaded up the tape (Scotch 1/4" x 1800 on a 7" reel, 1 mil thickness, No. 142.) into the machine, feeding into an empty reel, and upon engaging the tension rollers and press play, the play light comes on, the rollers drop, the pinch roller engages and nothing. I've taken it apart a bit and noticed that the belt is in good shape and it spins smoothly, the fuses have no visible signs of being blown (but i assume one still could be bad without visible signs?) and the reels spin freely when the play button is engaged. Any ideas??

8track,... nice choice.

With tape NOT loaded, lift the right tension arm/roller. The capstan should spin CCW.

Make sure the tape is threaded correctly.

Left reel, supply reel, with tape spooling off the left side of the left reel and down.
UNDER the left tension roller.
OVER the left idler roller.
UNDER the tape head stack and tape lifters,... (not through).
BETWEEN the capstan and pinch roller.
OVER the right idler (tach roller).
UNDER the right tension roller and UP.
SPOOL the tape onto the takeup reel from the right side of reel and wind CCW.

The reels and capstan should spin CCW when in full operation.

Sorry, no pic, but someone might have a suitable picture to post.

FUSES: Yes, as perceptive as you are,... I've found the "original" fuses are quite old, ~25yrs~, and sometimes a fuse might be defunct when the filament "looks okay". The only way to test the fuses for sure is with an ohm meter,... or try replacing them with the same rated fuses.

Make sure the pinch roller travels all the way upward to contact the capstan completely when Play is activated.

Good luck!:eek:;)

PS: Scotch 142 is such an old tape,... eh,... 60's vintage,... probably a collector's item, but won't record to optimum for what we consider contemporary "hifi". It's okay to test with, though. Maybe try to find some new Quantegy 457, 456 in a pinch, new RMGI/Emtec 911, or New-Old-Stock 3M 807, or either 806 or 226 in a pinch.

I figured it out! It was the fuses.. went to radio shack and replaced the fuses in the top right by the power supply underneath the top lid. Works like a champ!!

jealous

Im so jealous

I bought a 388 a month ago and took it to my techs cause one of the motors didnt roll.. the guy is not doing the job and Im tired of calling

Im gonna take the machine and try to fix it by my own

Maybe with some help from this forum, maybe a reel person will help me, Im a big fan of the beatles too ; )

So i've just got a 388 out of the classifieds, didnt have any tape to test, but it was cheap enough so i bought it anyway.

I've loaded up the tape (Scotch 1/4" x 1800 on a 7" reel, 1 mil thickness, No. 142.) into the machine, feeding into an empty reel, and upon engaging the tension rollers and press play, the play light comes on, the rollers drop, the pinch roller engages and nothing. I've taken it apart a bit and noticed that the belt is in good shape and it spins smoothly, the fuses have no visible signs of being blown (but i assume one still could be bad without visible signs?) and the reels spin freely when the play button is engaged. Any ideas??

Im so jealous

I bought a 388 a month ago and took it to my techs cause one of the motors didnt roll.. the guy is not doing the job and Im tired of calling

Im gonna take the machine and try to fix it by my own

Maybe with some help from this forum, maybe a reel person will help me, Im a big fan of the beatles too ; )

Ya there is a lot of information from experienced owners all over the place, on this forum, also tascamforums.com and gearslutz.com

The manual does a good job of showing the exploded views so its pretty easy to access the motor , belt , fuses etc. I suggest explaining your problem in detail and see if anyone has any knowledge about it

8track, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Good job. Many times it is something simple to keep these treasured pieces of equipment going. ;)

HomeGos, don't fret. Sorry for your frustration. When you get your 388 back then start a thread here and we will see what we can do, okay? We have a collective interest in gettin' tape rolling on your deck! ;)

Back