Tascam 388 - pan/stereo problem

Painful100

So my Tascam 388 just started acting up. When in mono mode or in monitor mode, things work fine. But when I press the red assign l/r switches down and enter remix mode, the right channel is way weaker than the left. So when I pan something to the right, the vu meter may register -20 while its hitting -5 when panned left.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

So on the 388, generally speaking, if your stereo and monitor L-R outputs work fine until you latch one or more of the channel 1~8 L-R assign buttons, it’s *usually* a failure of the U104 switching chip on the...crap...monitor PCB? Buss B PCB? I can’t recall off the top of my head now at the moment. But it’s a 4000 series logic chip that seems to eventually go bad on the 388, at least I’ve encountered either personally or assisted others with the problem a dozen or more times in recent years. This is the chip that allows the L-R assign buttons to double as a solo-in-place function, muting other signals assigned to the L-R buss such as the monitor mixer, etc but allowing other “L-R” assigned signals through. I’ll refresh my memory which board that chip is on as soon as I am able, unless somebody else can recall sooner. But that would be my first strong hunch if your problem doesn’t arise until you latch one of those L-R assign switches. I believe the chip is still readily available, and it’s a low-cost part, and an easy fix if you or somebody you know is comfortable desoldering a DIP IC and soldering in a new one.

Never done soldering like that before, but appreciate the info. I would love to figure out what pieces to order and get instruction on how to do it. I can probably find a friend to help out

The full service manual is available online for free in several places. Just Google “Tascam 388 pdf”.

The component in question on your 388 is U104 on the Buss B PCB.

U104 is 4069 14-pin DIP hex inverter IC:

CD4069UBE Texas Instruments | Mouser Europe

Again, this is my prime suspect. Replacing U104 may or may not fix your issue without doing more troubleshooting/investigation. On the other hand if it doesn’t fix your issue, it’s a decent preventative maintenance measure since there is a solid trend of that component going bad on the 388.

Back