Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tascam 388 no right channel

Thanks

Tascam 388 no right channel

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all,

My 388 just started a new issue where the right channel is not producing sound. I've searched here and other places, and it seems like this has been an issue for others but I haven't found any solutions.

What is happening:
    The right channel is not producing sound across the board. Headphones, monitors, playback, playback on mix mode, recording when panned right both line in and mic. However, the right VU meter is functioning. And when I switch to mono the right side will produce normal sound. If I start in the center and pan right the sounds taper off.

What I've done:
    I have a parts machine. So far what I've switched out: right and left bus PCB, monitor PCB, the green strip that ties the channel pcbs together, right fader and main fader.

I've had the machine for a while so I don't think it's user error. If anyone has any thoughts or might be able to give me a hint what to look out for I'd really appreciate it. I'm stumped.

Thanks
    1. Is the issue present at the L-R main outputs jacks as well as the MONITOR out jacks and the headphones?

2. Do you have the same symptoms if you connect a stereo source to the STEREO BUSS IN jacks?

Thanks
    I'll definitely check these when I get home from work.

Any chance a fuse could be an issue? I replaced them about 5-6 years ago when I got the machine. Just trying to be proactive since I would have to order them online.

Also, before the right channel issue started, I was having intermittent static on channel 8 during playback for a while. In case there might be any relation.

Thanks
    Fuses protect entire power rails. If a fuse is bad, nothing powered by that power rail will function. The right and left channels are powered by the same power rail. A fuse is not the issue.

I don’t believe the channel 8 issue is related.

I suspect you will find both channels are working at the STEREO out jacks both balanced and unbalanced, and that audio input connected to the STEREO BUSS IN jacks is A-OK at the STEREO OUT jacks, but missing the right channel at the MONITOR OUT and headphone jacks.

Thanks
    Ok, now the machine is throwing a curve ball. I was able to test everything. What is happening now is that both channels are coming through with sound but it seems to be a mono signal. The sound seems to be stronger when centered and slightly lower in volume when panned left or right. The main meters are reading correctly. The strange thing is it's even happening in my mixdown deck. It's connected to the unbalanced stereo outs. The left and right meters are moving correctly when I pan, but monitoring through headphones of the mixdown deck I'm getting the same weird mono-ish anomaly.

Come to think of it, it did this briefly the other day when I was trying to figure out the problem. But only briefly before going back to the no right channel issue.

Thanks
    I still need to know if this is happening in the STEREO OUT jacks as well as the MONITOR and headphone outs.

Thanks
    Sorry I forgot to be specific. This new problem is actually happening in all manners tested except through the monitor outs. The monitor outs are the only thing that after playing correctly when I pan. Everything else is doing the weird mono thing.

Thanks
    Do you have a multimeter?

Do you have any weird stuff going on with indicator LEDs, like them turning on when they shouldn’t?

Thanks
    I do have a multimeter though it's been since I've used it.

With the LEDs, I haven't noticed any irregularities.

Thanks
    Okay. Well, sit tight. No promises. Your issue sounds like a switching logic issue, and I know of some common problems with the 388 due to a particular logic IC, but this is manifesting differently, and the fact it is not consistent between which sets of outputs is a conundrum because it means multiple PCBs may be in play. When I get a chance I’ll study the schematics.

Does the MONO switch have any effect at all on your output when it’s doing the weird mono thing?

[EDIT]

Don’t do any more shotgun swapping out of boards...we need to isolate the problem, and shooting in the dark may be introducing more problems which complicates isolating one issue and systematically addressing the problems as a whole.

Thread Information