Tascam 388 as mixer for 38

Good Friend

First let me say that im sorry for getting so mad at the guy who was crapping on me for asking about 1/2" Teac 4 tracks. You just have to understand that this world and this society make a normal sane person say and do and react like a maniac sometimes. For every one jerk there are 10 nice guys in analog forums so i guess things arent that bad. Now for my real question, and i know this may be somewhere else in this forum archives, but i cant easily find it with a search keyword that wont return me 1000 posts to fish through. I am thinking of buying a 388 to use as a mixer for my 38, and also as a way to record ideas and try sounds before i break out the 75 dollar tape. Are there any shortcomings (other than lack of channels) in this setup that i should be aware of?

Good Friend said:
First let me say that im sorry for getting so mad at the guy who was crapping on me for asking about 1/2" Teac 4 tracks. You just have to understand that this world and this society make a normal sane person say and do and react like a maniac sometimes. For every one jerk there are 10 nice guys in analog forums so i guess things arent that bad. Now for my real question, and i know this may be somewhere else in this forum archives, but i cant easily find it with a search keyword that wont return me 1000 posts to fish through. I am thinking of buying a 388 to use as a mixer for my 38, and also as a way to record ideas and try sounds before i break out the 75 dollar tape. Are there any shortcomings (other than lack of channels) in this setup that i should be aware of?

I think it's a fine idea. The 388 mixing section is so good it's scary. All you will need is an M-1B mixer for "cue" and as A Reel Person explained a few posts down and I quote:

"One thing to consider, if budget allows, is that if you get the 38 and 388, plus an M-1B line mixer, you could hook them all together and have a 1/4"~1/2" 8-track super-system. The 388's mixer would support the 38 with the addition of the M-1B for "cue" monitor. This would give you the choice to track to 1/4" or 1/2", depending on the day, while still keeping your equipment to a minimum of very high quality components."

Back