Tascam 388 - Hard panning problem

Floti

Hi!!

I've realized that when I pan fully right or left, my recorded tracks sound really bad, like muffled in the side I panned it and also some noise appears in the other side. Do you guys know why this is happening?? When I pan half the way or even more this doesn't happen, but the track loses a little bit of volume, not being a real problem.

Hi Floti,

It could be as simple as your pan pots are dirty. If you're confident to pull apart the unit, you can pull the whole mixer section out. Be careful and don't squash any internal cables!

1. Flip it and take off bottom cover. If you can do this upright, even better!
2. Undo cables from Mixer PCB's (so that you can lift the whole mixer out as one unit)
3. Unscrew SIX screws from the top of the mixer panel, four on the corners and one on each side.
4. You should now have the mixer section free enough to lift up.
5. Locate pan pots and use a product such as Deoxit D5 to spay into the small hole on the side of the pot. Wipe the pot back and forth while doing this to ensure it gets in.
6. Reverse process to put back together and test.

While you're down there, inspect your capstan belt and make sure it isn't loose.

Last edited:
Well, I opened it up and cleaned all pots, took me a while!! Then I realized that it shouldn't be the problem since I am able to fully pan right or left to assign a recording track without problems, this only happens when I'm in playback mode...

Anyway, I can't test it now because my capstan won't turn. this is an intermitent problem I'm having that I thought I had fixed last week, but there it is again... I'm starting to think I might give up and forget about my 388... Grrrr!!

All of them. But as I said, my capstan isn't turning now, so I can't check anything on playback by now... I guess I'd have to recap or something, though I don't know where to start.

It wasn't my old "capstan won't turn" problem, this time it was a blown fuse. Replaced it and all is working again, but the panning problem is still there, and yes, it is in all channels!

I guess the pots are not suspicios, but do you know where the problem could be?

Back