TASCAM 388, Eff vs Aux

hansgauffin

Hi, here´s a Tascam 388 newbie question about effects on mixdown.
I know that you can connect two different effect units but the EFF Outs on the backpanel, they can be returned to the EFF rtn jack on the back panel.
Then you have the Eff 1 and Eff 2 mix knobs on the front panel that would be the Dry/wet controls for the two independent effects beingt sent to all 8 channels, Right??

Above the channel sliders there is only ONE Eff send knob for each channel, and I assume it controls the send levels for BOTH the effect units at the same time??

I´d like a second Eff knob over each channel, providing easier effect apply controls during mixdown.

What about the Aux knobs? Can I connect one effect unit by the Aux out/Aux rtn on the back panel? Would I be able to control the eff.mix levels with the Aux knob placed above the eff knob on each channel??

Thanks for any advice on this.
/Hans

All the EFFect knobs on the channel strips feed to the EFF knob in the master section above the MASTER fader. Then that goes to the EFFECT OUT jack on the back. That's one effect send.

The AUX knobs on the channel strips go to the AUX knob in the master section above the MASTER fader. Then that goes to the AUX OUT on the back. This can be another POST fader effect send if you want by pressing the PRE/POST switch into the down position on the channel strip. When up (PRE position) it is used for a PRE fader auxiliary or monitor send like to a headphone amplifier for the talent...their levels won't change when you change the channel fader.

So you have two possible mono effect sends if you don't need the AUX buss for a monitor send.

Understand this: those effect sends won't loop back to the channel strips, but directly to the STEREO buss controlled by the MASTER fader. If your effects units are mono, then you bring one back via the EFFECT RTN 1 jack on the back, and the other via the EFFECT RTN 2 jack. You control the level and PAN psotion via those knobs in the master section. If you have two stereo effects units, you can bring one back using both the EFFECT RTN 1&2 jacks (panned hard R and hard L), and if one of your effects units has output level controls you can bring it in to the STEREO BUSS IN jacks on the back. It sends it to the same place as the EFFECT RTN 1&2 jacks, but you have no PAN or LEVEL controls; the "R" jack is fixed hard R, and the "L" jack is fixed hard L, and since there are no level controls that's why you have to adjust the level at the effects unit.

aha...

thankxs for the answer, you made it a lot clearer, actually I´m in the process of "pimipin" my TASCAM for the moment, waiting for my RMGI tape to arrive, so I have´nt had a lot of time testing the unit myself, I´m just trying to figure out which way I can use it the way I want.

I use a lot of tracks in my music, which means some ping ponging in the procedure. If I´m right there is not possible to use the EFF knobs on the channel strips while pingponging, since the signal does´nt feed back to the chanell strip?, so you´ll have to use the SND/RTN jacks for each channel to apply the effects you want.
This requires some good planning of the recording beacause if I want a specific effect on more than one tracks, I´ll have to record the track with the effect, with no possibilities to change the wet/dry levels afterwards.
Does this make any sense?, Is there a way around this? /Hans

Bump

what Hans said last is exactly what I'm trying to figure out today:

I use a lot of tracks in my music, which means some ping ponging in the procedure. If I´m right there is not possible to use the EFF knobs on the channel strips while pingponging, since the signal does´nt feed back to the chanell strip?, so you´ll have to use the SND/RTN jacks for each channel to apply the effects you want.
This requires some good planning of the recording beacause if I want a specific effect on more than one tracks, I´ll have to record the track with the effect, with no possibilities to change the wet/dry levels afterwards.
Does this make any sense?, Is there a way around this? /Hans

You could use spare channels and remember to keep the Effect or Aux control off on them.

Example.

Let's say you have

Track 1: Bass
Tradk 2 Guitar
Track 3: Snare
Track 4: Kick
Track 5: Overhead
Track 6: Overhead

And you want to bounce them all to Tracks 7 and 8. Well, in that case you'd plug the outputs of your effects device into the line inputs of channels 7 and 8, buss them to tracks 7 and 8, hard pan left (for 7) and right (for 8) then use the channel faders (NOT the Effect or Aux controls) to set the level to tape.

You could also use the Buss Ins or the Access Receive jacks for channels 7 and 8 if you wanted (although the latter is pre fader, so be careful).

ah, thank you! this seems like the solution. but wait, in that example, how are tracks 1-6 getting to the effects device?

Back