Tascam 388 capstan belt primer

shedshrine

Tascam 388 capstan belt install primer

CAPSTAN BELT REPLACEMENT

IMG_6810.jpg

Lay the deck face down and take off the back.
IMG_6811-1.jpg
Take out a screw on one leg of the large wheel bracket, and loosen its other one, then slide the new belt under the free leg and put the belt around both wheels like this.

While we're at it, another issue I had with mine was that the tape counter wheel wouldn't spin, so the readout wasn't working. Two things fixed this.

IMG_8408.jpg

One was to scrub the rubber that contacts the tape with a damp qtip until it was nice and grabby.
(the black screw top cover on the left in this picture threads into the shaft the wheel rotates on and should come off easily with a good twist)

IMG_8406.jpg

The second was to coat a little light machine oil on the shaft to allow the wheel to spin freely.

IMG_8407.jpg

One of the things I read about that can also cause poor readout accuracy is if these little sensors get dusty.
They optically read the little stripes turning on the bottom of the wheel. Pretty cool.
IMG_8409.jpg

The threads lately about how tape machines are not point and shoot plugins make good points.
You definitely want to educate yourself about basic maintenance before jumping in.

I paid a pro for Initial setup and fortunately, for the limited usage it sees, has been tanklike since, and nice to have around.

But basically I just keep it around to take pictures of. :wink:

A vintage pampered and not used enough Tascam 388 and her owner share a tender moment
IMG_6752crop-2.jpg

Last edited:
such a sweet job and an excellent answer to my needs, I hope I can deal with the machine, Im a bit clumsy

thanks a lot , you are all awesome people to have this forum going and alive for guys like me , specially for non -speaking english countries. people.
To find parts its also harder and more expensive , information here is gold for us.

Yeah...this is a rally great thread...props again to shedshrine for putting it together.

It reminds me that it would be nice to have a central place for threads like this so they're not buried when somebody needs it. I guess that's kind of what the search function is for, and somebody always seems to remember this thread and that thread when something comes up, but I worry about the operator that slips through the cracks.

HomeGos, keep at it. I think you are doing great. Please don't ever feel bad about asking for a better explaination if a language barrier is getting in the way. I wish I could help in your language.

Also, seriously, if there are Teac parts you need that you can't get from Teac Spain (and if Teac America won't ship to you) PM me. I would be willing to order what you need from Teac here in the United States and forward the parts on to you.

Back