Tascam 388

PlnsMstkn4Jacob

A friend of mine has an old Tascam 8 track, model 388 sitting in his room collecting dust. He's not sure if it works or not. I remember being over there a while ago, we turned it on and when trying to play the tape it made a loud weird noise. He wants me to take it and try to get it fixed up and I'll be able to keep it in my studio. Anyone know much about these recorders? I really hope I can get it fixed up and working. I'll let you guys know what's wrong with it when I get it and perhaps you can help me figure out what I need to buy or replace to get it in working order.

Hello!

The 388's an exceptional unit, and is all that much better of a score if you can get it nearly- or actually "free". Ebay average on the nicer, well-kept 388's is about $495, give-or-take, & depending on the day.

I'd not venture a guess as to what the "horrendous noise" was, but it would serve you well to find a brand new reel of tape for testing. Make sure you clean the tape path, as many older tapes may leave a thick sludge on the heads and all tape path guides. Any heavy grunge on the heads may cause the noise you're talking about.

The 388 is a fine unit for homers, as it was originally aimed at the small "post-production", "jingle" studio, or "sound-for-film" applications. These days it's just a "bloated" Portastudio, if you ask the average person. Heh, heh.

If you're in the Los Angeles area, I'd check it out for free, & do minor repairs and calibration for nearly-free,... if ur in my area then check me out.

In summary, no matter what condition the 388 is in, I'd try to score it cheap! I've heard of people giving their 388's away to other eager users, just because they've either not recorded in some time, or maybe they've moved onto another recording system. Anyway, the 388 is keen,... cheap is good & free is better!! So, get it now & worry about fixing it later!

What was the question? Heh.;)

Last edited:
I now have it sitting in my room. The only tape I have is the tape that was in it when given to me. What's happening when I hit play on it is that the reel on the right is jumping up and down and making loud noise(think Linda Blair in the Exorcist) It appears to me that the reel on the right is set up to high, seeing as how the reel sits up about a half inch higher then the reel on the left. I tried adjusting the screw that goes down the middle of the part that holds the reel but it doesn't seem to adjust the height. Maybe it's supposed to be off like this but my first guess would be that they should probably be level with eachother. I'm located in Texas by the way. So I'm guessing the first step to getting this badboy working is to get the reels setup properly. Hope you can help!

Yes, the reels should be at an even height.

The adjustment for the reel table height is below the deck panel, so you'd have to remove the faceplate of the transport to gain access.

I should also add that the plastic things that hold the reels(ok so I'm a newbie to analog) both look different comapred to eachother. Also the one on the left when you turn it, kind of locks into position lining up evenly with the plastic peice underneath it while the one on the right just turns and turns. Is it likely that I may need to replace the peice on the right?

1) Do you have a manual? If not, GET ONE BEFORE YOU F*** with this thing.
The 388 is easy to work on, but if you break something you will hate yourself.
2) Are you in N Texas/ Dallas area perchance??

Lemme get this right...is the actual spot where the reel sits...the round black pad about 3" in diamter...sitting high, or is the plastic tape reel just not going all the way down on the spindle?? You describe them as "looking different" ..I wonder if the original was broken and someone tried a jack-leg repair with a spindle from another machine.

Im in Garland BTW. Give ya $50 for it and haul it away free!!

technoplayer said:
Lemme get this right...is the actual spot where the reel sits...the round black pad about 3" in diamter...sitting high, or is the plastic tape reel just not going all the way down on the spindle?? You describe them as "looking different" ..I wonder if the original was broken and someone tried a jack-leg repair with a spindle from another machine.

Im in Garland BTW. Give ya $50 for it and haul it away free!!

No can do, it's not even officially mine yet.

So basically, the round black pad is fine, both are sitting at equal heights.

It's the plastic piece sticking up that's not right. I think one of them may be broken. Where could I find a replacement piece? I'm not sure how to replace it either, I found a manual online but I can't find anywhere that says how to replace parts.

Here is the part you need to replace . It has two set screws on the brass shaft on the bottom for adjustment or replacement.

Attachments

• reel1.JPG
    reel1.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 125
Ok, so I will need to get up under the surface where the reels go in order to remove and replace it, and I'll have to replace the disc part and everything(I guess it's all one unit). What is that unit(the one in the picture) called so I can ask around and search for a replacement?

It is called a reel table. And if you decide you want one this one is for sale.
You can send me a pm here if you want to know specifics.
To change these you have to go through the top of the machine to do it.

PlnsMstkn4Jacob said:
Ok, so I will need to get up under the surface where the reels go in order to remove and replace it, and I'll have to replace the disc part and everything(I guess it's all one unit). What is that unit(the one in the picture) called so I can ask around and search for a replacement?

Tascam still has that one last time I checked (about 1 year ago).

Part number 5600018100.

It's the same for the 22 series, as well as the X-3/X-300 and Radio Shack TR-3000.

It looks pretty hellish to change on the 388, but I’ve never done it.

EDIT: Or buy it from Herm...

:)

Alright, I have the reel table to replace the broken reel table on my Tascam 388. The only problem is I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get in there to replace it and I can't find anywhere online that tells how. I tried going in from the bottom but that didn't seem to work, and I tried to take off the top panel and the transport panel but I had no luck getting those off. This is frustrating and I don't want to take it and have some random person get in there and charge me an arm and a leg. So does anyone know how to replace this reel table????

You have to remove the cover plate that covers the deck of the transport.

The head cover as well as the tension rollers have to be removed, IIRC. :eek: ;)

The head cover comes off with two screws, one on either side.

The tension rollers come off by unscrewing their caps. Pay close attention to two very small washers, one on either side of the roller.

I can't remember if the pinch roller has to come off too, but it would come of in a similar fashion, by unscrewing it's cap.

The reel table set screws are on the bottom side of the reel table.;)

Back