Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tascam 38 wierd playback stuff

Thanks

tascam 38 wierd playback stuff

Sign in to disable this ad
    i've been recording on my 38 the last couple of nights and there's some weird stuff going on. i would love some advice if anyone can offer it!

first off, (this might be a big question) but tracks 3 4 and 5 are getting no levels at all on the VU meters and don't record. where do i begin to trouble shoot this problem?

but more immediately:

i recorded a few tracks over the last couple of days and for some reason the tracks are split up when i play them back. some will play when i am in REPRO mode and some will play when im in SYNC mode but they wont play together. however, when I first recorded them they all played together in SYNC mode, and when I went back to the studio today I tried listening to two different tapes and I had the same problem. Track 1 would only play in REPRO and the rest was all playing in SYNC mode and nothing would play together! What's up with that? at least i know the tracks are still there, but it would sure be nice to hear them all at the same time! any help is greatly appreciated.
    loud and proud

Thanks
    I had a similar problem with my 34B, I cleaned the contacts and reseated the rec/play cards and it fixed the problem, perhaps that may be the case here?

Thanks
    i will have to try that out, thanks!
    loud and proud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burymyteeth View Post
    i will have to try that out, thanks!
    It sounds a lot like the relays are sticking, actually. This is the part which switches the output between input, sync and output, and is electromechanical. They might need to be replaced.

Thanks
    I'm not too familiar with the inside of this machine, I just got it like a week ago, I'm going to go to the studio now and check it out, I may snap some pictures and need some help locating where the relays are. Thanks for the suggestion.
    loud and proud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burymyteeth View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the inside of this machine, I just got it like a week ago, I'm going to go to the studio now and check it out, I may snap some pictures and need some help locating where the relays are. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Okay. I don't have a '38 myself, but I do have a '32, schematics and a couple of spare audio cards from a dropped '38.

At the bottom panel of the machine it should be possible to unscrew the base. If it's like the '32 it should swing down once a couple of screws are removed, which exposes the audio cards for alignment etc. There should be 8 of them.
    I do not know how to remove them, I guess someone else will have to step in there.

I'm attaching (I hope) a picture of the audio card. Each one has three relays, and the part IDs are silkscreened onto the PCB:

K101 - Switches between the Sync head and the Repro head
    K102 - Mute relay
    K103 - Activates the record head

K101 is the one I'd suspect - if it was on the blink it might explain your symptoms.

EDIT:
    The relay part numbers are listed in the manual as:
    K101: G2E-182P-H (24v)
    K102: RRD51A24
    K103: G2V-2 (24v)

Thanks
    Here's the PCB:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t38-relays-jpg  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    Okay. I don't have a '38 myself, but I do have a '32, schematics and a couple of spare audio cards from a dropped '38.

At the bottom panel of the machine it should be possible to unscrew the base. If it's like the '32 it should swing down once a couple of screws are removed, which exposes the audio cards for alignment etc. There should be 8 of them.
    I do not know how to remove them, I guess someone else will have to step in there.

I'm attaching (I hope) a picture of the audio card. Each one has three relays, and the part IDs are silkscreened onto the PCB:

K101 - Switches between the Sync head and the Repro head
    K102 - Mute relay
    K103 - Activates the record head

K101 is the one I'd suspect - if it was on the blink it might explain your symptoms.

EDIT:
    The relay part numbers are listed in the manual as:
    K101: G2E-182P-H (24v)
    K102: RRD51A24
    K103: G2V-2 (24v)
    extremely helpful! thanks jp, i got as far as you explained today and also couldn't figure out how to take the cards out and took apart a ton of things unnecessarily and then put it back together haha. this is such a weird machine to work on, i can't figure out if i should go from the back the bottom or the front??? i thoroughly cleaned it today, i'm going to let it sit for the day and go back tomorrow and check it out, if anyone can explain to me how to get the channel cards out that would be awesome.
    loud and proud

Thanks
    At first I thought you were saying you couldn't locate them, so I took this photo of my '32. Having done that I don't want to waste it so I'll post it anyway ;-)

By the looks of it you have to remove a supporting bar (which looks like it'll need the back off the machine too). It's probably a matter of hooking something into the holes at the corners of the audio cards and pulling, but since that may damage it if it's done wrong, probably best to wait for someone who's done this before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t32-audiocards-jpg  

Thanks

Talking

can anybody help us out here?
    loud and proud

Thread Information