Tascam 38 Update

Bloodbone

Well,I got it back from the shop today.
The ebay seller was a local,which had a lot to do with why I made the deal.Although he did advertise it to be in good working order.
It wasn't,though.
The shop had to go inside the unit,and set the reel tables up in the correct spots so the reels won't drag on the case like they were doing.
Then they had to do the resolder thing on the board,as there was bad drop-off on 3 of the channels.
They fixed all that,got it aligned for the tape I wanted,and also installed a headshell cover,and I picked it all up earlier today.
The good thing about the whole thing was that the seller was a pretty stand-up guy.He did refund the entire purchase price of the unit to me,as the repairs were so expensive and he didn't know all that was going to be needed.I bet he'll be more careful with his descriptions next time,though!
Managed to find the rack mount rails,and the dbx units for it.I think the only thing I really lack is a remote control.Maybe one will turn up soon.
Anyway,things are looking up,and I'm looking forward to using this thing.

Okay!

You scored, and made out better than most!

I've been having a hard time getting the rack rails for the 30 series. Most times they've been on Ebay, it's been an inconvenient time for me to bid. I might call Tascam about purchasing them new, if available.

Good to hear your update! You'll find a remote soon. Now, onto recording!! ;)

You'll love it. The 38 is a really nice machine. Congrats on the refund even though it cost you more in the long run. I've been reading about a lot of 38's being fixed up and used lately and it's really time for me to get mine repaired!!

Anyway, enjoy!

I've bought a couple of things on ebay from the guy that sold me the Tascam rack mounts.He's pretty slow about shipping,but his goods are as advertised.I can look up his username if you want.
The guy at the repair shop I use told me that he has been working on a LOT of open reel recorders lately-mostly ebay deals.The interest level must be picking up.
I still haven't managed to really get cooking on my next recording project,but I've done a little bit of experimenting with the Otari that I picked up,before the Tascam.From what little bit I've done,the verdict is-WOW!!Music recorded on tape absolutely blows anything digital out of the water.If the Tascam sounds anywhere near as good as the Otari,I'll be in hog heaven.
My plans are still basically to do hybrid recording.Get all basic tracks down on half inch open reel tape.Convert to ADAT Lightpipe,then Roland RBUSS,so my VS 2480 can accept the data digitally.Do all my editing,mixing,etc.,inside the Roland.Then send a 2 track stereo master mix to a stereo mastering tape deck,to get whatever tape sound back that was lost while in the digital realm,then to the Denon cd burner as a last step.I'm thinking this is going to really satisfy my ears.
It'd also be cool to make some dbx encoded cassettes using metal tape on my Yamaha.That oughta really sound good,too.
It's all good...

Back