Tascam 38 Sync mode

fstrat76

So I'm finally up and running (will post pics later of my new project studio), at least I thought so....

I started doing my first set of analog tracks in many years and went to punch in a part on two tracks (I have a remote footswtich). Now its been awhile since I used to do this on the 38 but....

In sync output, you press the function select buttons down to select the tracks to record-enable and leave the record off, press play, listen, you get to the punch in part, press play-record buttons (or press the footswitch) and punch in your part.

Great, that works, but I can't hear what is playing on my parts on that same track(s) prior to punch in. In other words, shouldn't I hear the original recording, hit the footswitch, then now hear my new part?

I hear the new part but not the original part. I know with modern equipment, this works, but I can't remember if its supposed to work like this with the 38 as its been so long.

Any 38 owners can confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, tape outs from 38 to tape ins on the mixer, monitoring of previously recorded tracks works fine, as long as the function switch is up. Once the function select button goes down to record enable the tracks, the function select LED's flash as they should, but the recorded material on those tracks is silent and no movement on those VU meters.

This happens for any track when the function select button is down.

Where do I start trouble-shooting?

Gee wiz, it's been 20 years since I recorded with either of my 38's, but as far as I can recall: You will need to have it record ready (record light is flashing) and press the function switch to drop in on a track and lift it to punch out or press record again. I did that thousands of times - but maybe I just can't correctly remember anymore. But I sure seem to remember hitting the wrong track more than once. IOW, the logic on that machine is - you will not be able to hear previously recorded material with the function switch down.

Unfortunately, I can't easily put my hands on one of the manuals so I hope I have not mispoken.

Danny

Well, I have the manual and what you say is correct, that function select off, record-play, punch in by pressing the function select on the track, that works. The footswitch part in the manual is not so clear.

As a guitarist punching in, I need the hands-free operation of footswitch and it sure helps to hear what you've done up to the punch point.

But I could swear using the footswitch, which I'm sure I've done a million times before many years ago, you could pre-select the function select switches and hear the previously recorded material.

I was just wondering if it might be some global relay issue or something or maybe that is just how it works.

Well I'm glad my memory has not completely failed me. Yep, I kind of remember my wife helping me many times when I might have been doing guitar punches and when recording keyboards, I used a sequencer - as soon as they came out. Vocals, now that was when I would sometimes get all spacey and hit the wrong track.

I seem to recall the footswtich as being relatively useless. I think it just record enabled (records) a armed track. As far as not having a spare hand to punch in, I would often erase from where I would want a punch to start and then record the punch in (so to speak) on another track and then bounce the perfected parts to a single track. Yeah it's a chore but it works when you don't have a person with the right reflexes to help.

Danny

Last edited:
It sure does seem pretty useless to me to not hear the original recording before punch, but it sounds like Ghost above has stated that I should be hearing it.

Can anyone with a 38 confirm punch-in operation?

OK, I did my singer's overdubs this week and you do not hear the track that you want to punch in. You rewind the tape to a known good spot, arm the track while the tape is running. At the same time you play the the guitar (or what ever your are wanting to fix) to get the same timing and loudness then you step on the foot switch and fix the mess ups. When you have it fixed you will step on the foot switch again to disarm record. Press stop and disarm the track. Rewind and listen to the song again insuring a successful fix. This is a downside to the function of the 38 but I still love it. PM me if I can help further.

Cool, thanks for the confirmation, I thought I was losing my mind there for awhile since its been a long time since I actually tracked on a 38.

It is nice having it, but I'm still getting reintroduced to it and the upsides and downsides (like tape hiss since I don't have any NR on it). All in all, the calibration and setup I did previously have made my machine running top notch so I'm glad the punch operation is not a technical issue.

Thanks for info!

Apologies if my previous post was misleading. When I had my 38, I'd do punch ins in the following manner. I would cue up the tape a few bars before the part where the punch would be needed and start the deck with the arming buttons all off. Tape movement was initiated by pressing both the play and record buttons and when the part neared, I armed the track by pressing the appropriate button and the deck would automatically begin recording at that moment. From what I remember, (it's been a few years), I could hear what was on tape up until the point that I armed the track in question. I never used the foot switch method as I always worked with other people in the room during a recording session so my hands were free to kick in and out the button for the punch.

Cheers! :)

Back