Tascam 38 punch in issue (X-posting)

Great find. I could use this mod. I mentioned this in an older thread here sometime ago because I remember my original 38 correctly punched in. Glad there's a mod for the later machines.

!!!

I don't have any recollection of having any such punch-in problem on the 38. Although it's been many years by now, I remember punching in hundreds of times of the course of 20 years usage. Maybe this is a logic or a relay malfunction? I'm not directly set up to run any tests on the 38 atm, but I could be in short order. I just don't remember there being any "issue". When in SYNC mode, REC FUNCT selected for a track, you should be able to monitor what's coming off of tape just prior to punching in. Sounds simple? It is!
:spank::eek:;)

I don't have any recollection of having any such punch-in problem on the 38. Although it's been many years by now, I remember punching in hundreds of times of the course of 20 years usage. Maybe this is a logic or a relay malfunction? I'm not directly set up to run any tests on the 38 atm, but I could be in short order. I just don't remember there being any "issue". When in SYNC mode, REC FUNCT selected for a track, you should be able to monitor what's coming off of tape just prior to punching in. Sounds simple? It is!
:spank::eek:;)[/QUOTE

Im fixing to get my 38 back from the friend I had originally bought it from. When I get it I will ask him about this cause I forgot myself as long as I used it if this was the case:

" On the 38, when Sync is selected and the track function select is activated for doing a punch in, the input is routed to the output instead of the recorded track prior to the punch in."

S/N-based flaw?

My original 38 purchased in 1982 or early 1983 is S/N 230140. A 38 I purchased used over 10 years ago is S/N 190819. I've not used either in well over 10 years. I think my original 38 had the last productions on it in Y2K, then the right reel table height slipped down again about 1/32", just enough to make the front edge of the tape rub slightly on the takeup reel,... but I never got around to fixing it (yet!). The second 38 has seen no production work by me, but I remember I was calibrating the unit when I just gave up and lost interest. If it's a 400001 S/N and above that has this problem, then I would not have it.

My Tascam 34 is S/N 3050, an early one (!), and therefore is also not affected. (310001 and above)

My 34B is S/N 670062. If this affects the 34B at the same serial number as the 34, then I could have a problem there, but I've not tested it. I might do that sometime, TBD.

My original 38 that I bought in '83 or '84 allowed to hear the tape track before punch as it should.

I sold that in the '90's but since picked up a used 38 a couple years ago. It's serial number is over 400001 and it exhibits the issue as described: ie: you cannot hear what is on the tape prior to punch in, only from the input.

My original 38 purchased in 1982 or early 1983 is S/N 230140. A 38 I purchased used over 10 years ago is S/N 190819. I've not used either in well over 10 years. I think my original 38 had the last productions on it in Y2K, then the right reel table height slipped down again about 1/32", just enough to make the front edge of the tape rub slightly on the takeup reel,... but I never got around to fixing it (yet!). The second 38 has seen no production work by me, but I remember I was calibrating the unit when I just gave up and lost interest. If it's a 400001 S/N and above that has this problem, then I would not have it.

My Tascam 34 is S/N 3050, an early one (!), and therefore is also not affected. (310001 and above)

My 34B is S/N 670062. If this affects the 34B at the same serial number as the 34, then I could have a problem there, but I've not tested it. I might do that sometime, TBD.

Ok just got mine back from my friend and the S/N is: 120169 so.....it has a froze up capstan motor at the moment but I have an extra I will be changing out as soon as I find it LoL. Meanwhile Im so curious to know if mine didn't monitor the the playback until a punch in so.....do you know by this S/N I gave you here and thanks A Reel person :)

I just did the mod. Followed it exactly; the master oscillator popped, smoked, and died. It was very hot to the touch when I removed it. It's a pretty simple mod but just did not work for me. Double checked the mod instructions too. Perhaps I did something wrong but I just don't know what.

Fortunately, I have a spare 38 and replaced the oscillator circuit and got it working again (without the mod).

Perhaps if I order another oscillator, I'll try again sometime in the future.

Back