Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tascam 38 Problem

Thanks

Question Tascam 38 Problem

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a Tascam 38 that will play with no problems but it wont record audio on any tracks at all. When trying to record on any track the erase head is working but no audio gets on the tape. in playback mode both the sync and repo heads are working on all tracks,

Thanks
    So you can see signal when monitoring the input?

Record enable switches switched in?

Not trying to be insulting by asking the obvious. I've done some really air-headed things in the past and always appreciated it when it was pointed out.

What's the history of the deck?

Thanks

Tascam 38

Yes the Record switches are pushed in and i see audio on the meters when selecting input or sync for the output options. The machine worked perfect when last used a year ago. I can playback old tapes and bet audio from both sync and repo heads but it wont record anything on any track now.

Thanks
    The record-ready LED's are flashing when you push the switches in and then they go steady when you put the transport into record mode?

Thanks
    I have 2 of them (38's) that are doing this too. 1 of the machines had less that 40 hours on it. Both recorded fine a couple years back. I suspect the relays but I haven't had time to get into them yet.

Danny

Thanks
    Wow...Danny...you think so? Could they all do that at once like that?

RAH7788...let's follow dano's idea. He's a smart cookie.

Have you ever experienced removing and reinstalling any of the amp cards on your 38? It is not hard to do if you haven't done it before...that might be the first step, what we call "reseating" the amp cards. Beyond that it is cleaning the relay contacts. The relays are on the amp cards...two each, 16 total. I did this on my 58 and it worked wonders.

Do you have a full manual for your 38?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Wow...Danny...you think so? Could they all do that at once like that?

RAH7788...let's follow dano's idea. He's a smart cookie.

Have you ever experienced removing and reinstalling any of the amp cards on your 38? It is not hard to do if you haven't done it before...that might be the first step, what we call "reseating" the amp cards. Beyond that it is cleaning the relay contacts. The relays are on the amp cards...two each, 16 total. I did this on my 58 and it worked wonders.

Do you have a full manual for your 38?
    I don't know. But both of the machines were exposed to smoke. You gotta remember nearly everyone smoked way back then. I pulled the cards and cleaned the connectors with Deoxit. That didn't help at all. Meters show signal at usual places, but no record. Relays seem most likely culprit. Were you having problems with relays on your 48 ?

Thanks
    No, no problem with the 48 relays...it was the 58. Do you remember that way-back-when over at the Tascam Analog forum? IIRC you were involved in helping me figure out what to do...resoldered the amp card connectors, cleaned the relays and the thing was a different machine...don't think it was ever smoked around...you can kind of tell. My problem was wierd-wierd-wierd inconsistent to non-existent levels moving from track to track particularly when monitoring off the sync head. It was distressful. I have a hunch it was mainly cleaning the relays that fixed things up but it was a different machine after that. Solid levels, crisp response when switching monitoring sources on the deck...you could really hear the relays *click*...used DeoxIT of course.

Thanks

Led's

Yes the led's light and i have pulled out the cards and cleaned them wit deoxit but no change. I do not have a manual for it. Hard to believe that many relays quit at the same time. Wish i had a schematic for it. I have been wondering if there is a power suply source for the record relays that may have droped out or something. I do alot of Pro Audio repair work but this machine has me stumped...lol

Thanks
    There are fuses. About 10 of them. I don't know if that could cause it but check them out.

Thread Information