Tascam 38 Problem

_DK

Hi everyone. I'm having some problems with my Tascam 38, the reel on the right doesn't turn when I start it. Same problem when I try to run it without the tape by holding the tension rollers up. Most importantly, the tension roller on the left is a lot more loose than the on the side that is dead.
What could it be? Is the belt off or broken?
I'm sorry if it's a stupid question. I'm not a pro. But I'm hoping it's not the motor. It used to work perfectly, before being stored for several years.

The 38's have been semi-notorious for failing reel motors.

I own a 38 and had the same problem. I had the motor changed and the problem was solved. :)

There are no belts for the reel motors. Only the capstan drive runs with a belt.

The other possibility is to have the motor disassembled and cleaned but the added labour charges of doing this usually doesn't pay off as you'll spend the same amount of money or more because of the added bench time. If TASCAM doesn't have the motor in stock, then the reconditioning/cleaning of the motor's bearings and brushes is your only course of action.

Cheers! :)

_DK said:
Thanks!
Would I need something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAC-TASCAM-38-...ryZ67814QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it hard to change the motor?
That appears to be the correct part, yes. ;)

Changing it yourself and the difficulty of doing that largely depends on your DIY skills.

Having the full manual which offers all the exploded diagrams and parts numbers would be invaluable! :cool:

The price in the auction is also a good one as I paid $110 + tax for mine, though mine was a new one from TASCAM/TEAC Canada direct. Buying used motors may come with their own perils.

It would also be prudent to check the fuses first as it may be something as simple as a blown fuse on the motor circuit.

Keep in mind though that fuses blow for a reason and the reason may well be that the motor's grease has hardened and turned to sludge which would jam up, draw too much current from the power supply and blow the fuse.

I'll take a look at that as well.
I'm still uncertain as to why one of the tension rollers is more loose than the other.

_DK said:
I'll take a look at that as well.
I'm still uncertain as to why one of the tension rollers is more loose than the other.
The tension rollers do behave a bit differently on mine as well but I don't experience any ill effects from this.

On mine, the left one will easily fall back down and on the right side it will more gradually fall back down. Considering that when the right one falls all the way down, the tape transport will stop so it may have been designed that way to prevent accidental stops due to pre-mature intended out of tape auto shut offs.

Bottom line; I don't see this as an issue.

Well, anyway...

I'll wish you the best of luck with the repair and so long as the rest of the deck is operating as it should, you should get lots of enjoyment from your 38. :)

It's capable of making a VERY respectable recording. :cool:

Btw, Jeff, I'm glad you returned to your original avatar. It's the "Ghost" I know. Don't change it! ;)

I'd check:...

~that the brakes are releasing the hubs (reel tables) properly on both sides;

~that the reel tables are securely attached to the motor shafts with the set screws.

I think the failure of the brake solenoid (due to rubber deterioration) and the hub coming loose from the motor shaft are way more common problems than the motors failing. I'd check e'thing (simple) like this before snooping 'round the motors.

That's my 2¢ :eek: ;)

A Reel Person said:

~that the reel tables are securely attached to the motor shafts with the set screws.

I think the failure of the brake solenoid (due to rubber deterioration) and the hub coming loose from the motor shaft are way more common problems than the motors failing. I'd check e'thing (simple) like this before snooping 'round the motors.

Dave, that's an excellent point to check on that as well!

Would there be an added resistance to the take up reel table and hub assembly not wanting to turn counter clockwise if that were the case?

A Reel Person said:

Thanks! I'll check that on the weekend.
It's surprising that unit has any problems at all, 'cause there's less than 30 hours on it, it's near mint! I suppose it's the long storage that's killing it.

_DK said:
Thanks! I'll check that on the weekend.
It's surprising that unit has any problems at all, 'cause there's less than 30 hours on it, it's near mint! I suppose it's the long storage that's killing it.
Long storage can still take effect on rubber parts and on lubricants which can turn skunky, similar to gas in your tank sitting unused for too long.

It's not really any issue directly tied to your model of recorder but all mechanisms in general...the old adage; "use it or lose it", has some truth to it.

Problem solved! (it was the Edit mode that was "stuck" and was giving some problems, didn't take much time to fix that). And yet another problem - channel 2 isn't recording. When there's a small "pop" at the moment the unit starts, the meter on channel 2 reflects that, when recording it's dead. What else can it be besides the line input?

_DK said:
Problem solved! (it was the Edit mode that was "stuck" and was giving some problems, didn't take much time to fix that).
D'oh! :o

I forgot completely about that button. If it's engaged, the take up reel is disengaged to allow for dump edits.

Sorry for leading you down a fearful path of expensive repair options. :(

As for the track 2 problem, double check your hookups and the fitness of the cable that feeds it signal. If that checks out, the interior channel card might need to be reseated...basicly pulled out and put back in to clean any possible oxidized contacts that connect the board to it's motherboard.

Back