Tascam 38 not getting any signal...

Haven't changed anything to my wiring or setup... all of a sudden I can't playback a recorded tape, nor can I get any signal on the VUs in INPUT mode. Very strange... All the VUs move at power up, like they always do, but no activity from any part of the tape or input.

Haven't changed anything to my wiring or setup... all of a sudden I can't playback a recorded tape, nor can I get any signal on the VUs in INPUT mode. Very strange... All the VUs move at power up, like they always do, but no activity from any part of the tape or input.

If it's like the TSR-8, the audio subsystem has a separate fuse. Check them, preferably with a continuity tester.

Thanks- I was hoping someone would say check a fuse as opposed to "oh man, you're screwed" :D

I'll check that later today and report back; let's hope....

No blown fuses...
Are there more fuses aside from the ten on top? I did not measure anything on them, like a moron, I just checked that they weren't blown and reseated them all...

I should also make sure it's not my mixer... :confused: I don't think it is, though, that would be a bit unlikely...

No blown fuses...
Are there more fuses aside from the ten on top? I did not measure anything on them, like a moron, I just checked that they weren't blown and reseated them all...

I should also make sure it's not my mixer... :confused: I don't think it is, though, that would be a bit unlikely...

You can verify if its your mixer by plugging in a line level source directly into the 38...IE; a drum machine or keyboard.

Cheers! :)

It isn't the mixer; not even getting playback signal from the tape on the VU meters, and it should read the tape regardless... any other ideas? As mentioned, all fuses are intact. The VU meters do jump when you power on, but no activity otherwise.

Are you using your 38 in conjunction with the optional dbx noise reduction units? If so, Are they turned on? Is the cascade connector for them properly plugged in?

Ok, so I verified that the signal does not get to the machine even directly. Now when I power it up, when all the VU meters do their initial jump, track 6 pegs and doesn't return, while all the others do. As mentioned, I can work the tape and the controls seem fine, but absolutely no signal to the machine, from the tape, etc. I'm not quite sure what else to look for... are there any more fuses anywhere else besides those 10 that are at the top? It's not channel specific, so I haven't tried reseating cards or anything yet..

EDIT: Ok, I pulled the machine apart, and I removed and reseated the master oscillator, and all 8 voice cards, which honestly someone had been in there before for something because all the cards were labeled with paper. I made sure that when I reseated the cards, I held the board from underneath to ensure the pins all fit correctly. I did not swap cards, because I just wanted to see if anything would happen by just reseating, but it didn't.

Last edited:
Went through similar a while back. Q801 resistor on the PowerSupply PCB was blown. Had a tech do the repair and go through the rest of the machine pretty thoroughly. Not sure if this was a power supply rail or mute from Q801. It's a 2SC-1645B. bob'snewjob of ebay usually has 38 PS PCB's for sale if you just want to try and replace the whole PCB. Hope I'm not sending you on a goose chase.

Last edited:
Back