Tascam 38 - No input/output

rickb

reelin' thru the years
:(
Tascam 38 was working fine. Opened back panel and inadvertently let RCA cable rest on motherboard. Herard a faint "zzit" sound. Now have no input to all tracks, no output from tape on all tracks either. When I backfeed a tone signal into inputs the VU meters come up. HELP!

:(
Tascam 38 was working fine. Opened back panel and inadvertently let RCA cable rest on motherboard. Herard a faint "zzit" sound. Now have no input to all tracks, no output from tape on all tracks either. When I backfeed a tone signal into inputs the VU meters come up. HELP!

Check the power first. See if any of the fuses are blown. THen check that each Power Supply voltage is present and within spec.

Hopefully ou shorted a power rail or 2 and just need to replace fuses.

Regards, Ethan

PS Take a deep dreath and Don't panic! :o

Thanks much for the reply and comments. It's in a shop. Been there for a month now. They haven't looked at it yet. Haven't used them before. Getting frustrated. Before it went in...

I did check the fuses. Are there more than on the main block behined the rear panel.

All transport functions are fine.

Remote works fine.

Function selects work fine.

I can hear the record relays on each channel when I engage record function.

I pulled one of the channel PCB's and tried a spare that came from "good" evilbay seller to no avail on that particular channel. I had not previously tested the spare channel card though.

Anyone know of a good tech in the Kansas City area if this shop can't fix or wants to rake me??

Thanks again Ethan for your thoughts. It was working perfectly until I let an RCA cable end touch the motherboard. Then no input to VU or tape record, and no output from previously recorded tape. Anybody have any idea why? Any help would be much appreciated.

Blown transitor on the Power Supply PCB...Q308? Now finding out somthing is amiss with output select when in "Synch" mode and causing one of the fuses to blow...hopefully another relatively easy fix. Something about one of the 24V power rails shorted? Should have it back in a couple of weeks. Missing my baby!

Back