Tascam 38 - mixer/preamp questions

larlev2340

Looks like I am getting a Tascam 38-8. I wanted to know thoughts on what mixer would most compatible. I have a Mackie 1202VLZ which I've been using with my 4-track Teac and like it but figure there are better choices out there. Also, what about a compatible pre-amp? I usually record drums with a three-mic setup. Also bass and guitar tracks. Vintage guy all the way in terms of gear.
The other question is: IF I want to dump all 8 tracks after recorded on the 38, what intermediate device can I buy that will take the 8 tracks (rendered) one- by one, synced of course, so I can then drop them down in an outside digital studio. Someone told me the Tascam DP-008 would work. Any thoughts?
Thanks much for any input.
larlev2340

At a minimum an 8x4 (8 input 8 tape return, 4 output buss) mixer. Search the threads here, there are a lot of Teac/Tascam or Fostex that would be fine, e.g. a Fostex 450, Tascam 312 (12x4) etc etc.

Also, not clear on what you mean by
(rendered) one- by one, synced of course, so I can then drop them down in an outside digital studio

If you're talking about digitizing the eight tracks all at once and into a PC, you need a digital interface something with 8 inputs like a Delta 1010 or an Echo Layla.

Back