Tascam 38 & Mixer Advice needed

Hiya Guys

Having generally been an engineer who works in the digital domain at a studio I wanted to experiment more with analogue recording. We had an old Tascam 38 and some DBX units lying around in the studio so I thought i'd use it at my home studio for experimentation purposes. As analogue can sound more pleasing to the ear for some styles of music.

We have a big Soundcraft desk in the studio hooked up to a 16 track fostex reel to reel.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the space or the money to spend on a large console at home so i'm in the market (generally ebay) for a budget mixer that I can connect to the 8 track. Problem is I haven't got a clue where to start with the vast array of mixers that seem to be available.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a sub £200 mixer to use.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Tascam models 3, M-30, or M-35. All are 8 input with direct outs, with a built in 8X2 aux mix section for machine or other aux returns, depending on switch settings. The M-30 & M-35 have sweep eq. The 35 is modular and easier to service and/or hot-rod.

Fostex models 450 and 450-16. Not modular but hod-rodding is possible. I got mine to perform wonderfully by having all the ic's swapped out for the then-current 5530 chips.
Good sweepable eq and very flexible routing with Direct outs on all channels.

No doubt there are others but these are the ones I have experience with.

Last edited:
TASCAM M-30, M-35, M-208, M-216, M-308(B), M-312(B), M-320(B), M-512, M-520.

TEAC MODEL 3, 5 and 5A (these are older than the above but if condition is right, then they're a viable option too).

Buy on condition rather than based on the name plate. Another piece of advice, and this is critical, is to buy locally, with no shipping involved. If that can't be done then make sure to read and / or instruct the seller to pack based on the following thread: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=229729

(In fact send him the link above).

Tell him that you only agree to the deal if he packs to your standard and that if it [the mixer] arrives different to what was promised (packing wise) then the seller is responsible for reimbursing you for any damage that was sustained or an outright refund. If you make him agree to that in writing then that will increase chances of success.

Also, have him ship FedEx as they're generally easier on packages.

---

The model 5's don't have enough dedicated machine returns for 8 tracks which is why I left them off of my list. If used with an outboard line-level mixer for machine monitoring, they'd make decent "model railroad" consoles, though.

TASCAM M-30, M-35, M-208, M-216, M-308(B), Also, have him ship FedEx as they're generally easier on packages.
That may not be practical in the UK. That said, I've yet to have a package get seriously mangled by any delivery firm.

Cosmic, when you say 'submixer' what are you looking to do with it? I use two myself, a cheap PhonicPro to route and sub-mix the inputs, and a larger mixer for actually mixing down to stereo.

The TASCAMs seem to be kind of rare here - on Ebay right now there are many TASCAM recorders but only a single analogue mixer (the M312B).
If you're looking after something newer and more readily available as a back-end mixing desk, I've been reasonably happy with my Yamaha MG16/4. That's discontinued but the replacement seems to be the MG166C. You might want to consider the 12-channel versions instead.

Last edited:
Back