tascam 38 help - dead take up reel and VU

rito25

I got a tascam 38 for cheap.
I got a new idler from terry.

The 3rd channel VU was not working. I replaced that. and the take up reel needed to be adjusted.

I replaced the 3rd channel vu, powered it on and it was fine.
but the take up reel adjustment height was wrong.

I opened it up again, and adjusted the take up reel height.

when i powered it on again,
the 3rd channel vu didnt work, and and take up reel isnt spinning at all.

the FF and RW isnt working now. Capstan seems fine.

What the best step to take forwards?

All that is when recording a tape, or, what ?

I havent tested it on tape yet. I got the take up motor height adjusted, and the FF and REW to work.

The idler spins but sometimes feel like its getting stuck or stops because its squeezed on stuff???

The 3rd channel VU is still not working though. it definitely worked for a minute when i first replaced it

i should specify that when the machine is turned on, all the vus move with the machine, with the exception of channel 3.

I used a multimeter and got continuity in channel three.

So, are you saying that FF and RW are now both broken since you adjusted the reel table height?
It might be worth checking the fuses. I don't have my '32 manual to hand but I would not be surprised if there are separate fuses for the reel motors and the capstan motor.
I would also check the brake bands just in case they have somehow got tangled during or after the reel-table adjustment.

The newest model I have is the ampex version of the 25-2 and the channel topology is probably a lot different. But did you reseat all the internal connections. I wouldn't know if the are two boards for each channel, or, anything

The newest model I have is the ampex version of the 25-2 and the channel topology is probably a lot different. But did you reseat all the internal connections. I wouldn't know if the are two boards for each channel, or, anything

The 32 and 38 have one big board for each channel. And yes, re-seating the problem one might be a good idea.

Can you get the take up reel spinning without tape? If you can I'd suspect the tape is sticky. Years ago I personally fried the capstain of a 38 I've spent loads of time trying to fix by moving sticky tape.

the capstan the rubber itself is new, the idler rubs again the plastic case. and makes a squeaking noise, sometimes it stops moving completely.

I tried swapping channel cards, but couldnt get channel 3 working that way. The card seems fine.

There's no #3 needle bounce with power on, right ? With all the gain down, do the rest still bounce. Like does the bounce come from powering the boards, or, from some input stage. You said the new meter worked once, or, something ? Is that dirty monitor switch? I see plenty of that over here.

with power on there is no bounce. I havent tried to run in an input. The meter worked fine once when i first replaced it, and its hasnt worked since.

Any idea why the rubber roller would be rubbing? Put a washer there?

Is channel 3 actually passing audio at all? i.e. if you have it set to input monitor and send it a signal, do you get an output?

I havent played a tape yet, because the rubber roller is rubbing, and i dont want to destroy the tape or the transport. Ill see if i have the gear at my house to pass some audio signals through it. Otherwise i might need to run to my studio space and that might be a a day or two

with power on there is no bounce. I havent tried to run in an input. The meter worked fine once when i first replaced it, and its hasnt worked since.

Any idea why the rubber roller would be rubbing? Put a washer there?

I'd try to find the expanded parts diagram to see if there should be a washer. I would think no. Rubbing/binding is physical, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

so i got the 3rd channel vu to work. Gonna pass signals through it. also got the roller to stop rubbbing.

the down side. the 3rd channel vu light burned out and took them all down with it.

Back