Tascam 38 audio cards part number

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Can someone please tell me, who owns a 38 and / or the service manual, what the part # for audio / amp cards is? Thanks a bunch!:D

I need to know if they're the same for the 48 or not..:o

----

Anyone, anyone at all?:confused::(

[The info I seek is contained in the owner's / maintenance manual;)]

--

That's the one...

Thanks MadAudio. ;)

There you go Daniel...the 48 and the 38 do not share the same amp card.

Now the question is what the differences are...I'm guess they are many, even though the boards mount very much in the same fashion...interesting.

Another one for the "For all those who were wondering..." book. :D

MadAudio:

Thanks so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it!:)

sweetbeats:

Cory, it's indeed an interesting turn of events. I actually was of the thought that the 48 cards were different to the 38 but I had no verification, until now, of course.;)

I had suspected the 48 cards were the same as the 58 but that is not the case either. Did TEAC come up with a totally different design for the 40 series? Likely. I too wonder what the differences are, other than the year of manufacture.

Anyway, thanks again guys!!:)

--

Well Dan now you have to tell us why you are wondering about this.:confused: Do you have a bad card?

No, I'm just immensely curious, kinda like Cory..:D:D;)

The other part is that when it comes to spares, I know now not to look for 38 / 58 cards. ;)

--

Be nice to have photos of the cards....

I can't do it right now but maybe Cory, if he gets a few minutes of down time or when he starts on the 48. [Cory, please don't feel like you should do it as this is not my intention - just someday in the future if you're gonna take that path anyway].

---

Ethan, I can get one of the 48 amp card if I ever get to pulling one out of my parts 48...:D

The 38 is another story. I do have PCB layouts and parts lists for the 48 cards as well as the rec/play amp card out of a 32...that's p/n 5200074800...not sure how different it is from the 38 card tho'...

It would be of interest to know if the 48 amp card also features reproduce circuitry design akin to the one about which you have spoken favorably from the 58/MS-16...:confused:

Yeah, I wonder if a scan of the PCB layout, design [from the service manual], would suffice to get an understanding of the similarities / differences between the 48 / 58 / MS-16 cards..

--

Daniel, I'm thinking you're already clear on this, but just in case there are others viewing that haven't been following Ethan's MS-16 Story thread, the 58 and MS-16 cards are the same.

Picture of a 48 amp card...

A smallish picture is below, but a native file of the picture can be downloaded from here.

As already acknowledged, the 48 cards are completely different. A significant point to note also is that all of the bias level amps reside on two separate cards.

Attachments

• amp card_1_3_1.jpg
    amp card_1_3_1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 29
Well I was going to post a 38 card but my batts died. The pic will be here as soon as my batteries get charged up.

Daniel, I'm thinking you're already clear on this, but just in case there are others viewing that haven't been following Ethan's MS-16 Story thread, the 58 and MS-16 cards are the same.

Cory, thanks for pointing it out and while I was aware [from the 58 thread], I did screw up my reply. I meant the difference between the 48 cards and the 58 / MS-16 [which are the same]. Sorry for that and thanks for clarifying.:o

A smallish picture is below, but a native file of the picture can be downloaded from here.

As already acknowledged, the 48 cards are completely different. A significant point to note also is that all of the bias level amps reside on two separate cards.

Man, you RULE Cory! Thanks!!:D

BTW, what is the significance of the bias level amps residing on two seperate cards?

Well I was going to post a 38 card but my batts died. The pic will be here as soon as my batteries get charged up.

That'd be great. Thanks Gary!:)

--

BTW, what is the significance of the bias level amps residing on two seperate cards?

Nothing in particular...you know me...blahblahblah...:D

I was just noting it because it was interesting to me when I opened up the 48. The 58, and I'm assuming the MS-16, have 1 separate card that houses the master bias oscillator, and then each channel amp card has its own bias level amp and traps. The 48 cards have (what I believe to be...haven't looked at the PCB parts list yet or studied the service manual) just the bias traps (as far as bias adjustments) on the amp cards, but the 8 bias level amps are on two adjacent cards, 4 each. Don't know why. Might have just been the physical engineering of the deck...a solution to be able to access all the trimmers on one plane and not waste space...that is one plus for the 48 and a minus for the 58: while I like the trimmer access being right on the front of the 58, a number of trimmers are placed behind the front row. The front edges of the cards are not big enough to have all trimmers right in front. I little tricky, especially for bias adjustments, though those needn't be done often at all...only in specific situations and then an extender card is needed. The 48 on the other hand...tip it on its back, remove the access plate and you can pretty much get to everything. Like I said elsewhere, that wouldn't work for me because my rack is fixed, but for those who have their 48 on its back anyway or have it in a tilting rack, it would be nice.

Another thought is maybe there is some benefit to having the bias amps on the separate cards from a production or performance standpoint. If I had to guess I would say it was just a solution to a design engineering problem and getting the trimmers accessible but that is purely a guess.

So there's the blahblah that went through my mind when I pulled the bottom panel off the 48, and what I was referencing when I noted in my post that the bias amps were on separate cards. ;)

Not much on the 38 board, But it works. I think I cut off the trimmers at the bottom.

Attachments

• 38board.JPG
    38board.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 20
The 58

Here's the 58 rec/play card for reference.

By the way, about the 38... I always thought the 32/34/38 used the same cards, except for a few resistors and caps in the EQ section since the 32/34 are NAB and the 38 is IEC. :confused:

They would have different part numbers, but I thought you could modify one to work in the other.
:)

Attachments

• 58card.jpg
    58card.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 17
Oooooo that looks familiar...wait...Tim...Is that a picture of one of my amp cards??

Yeah, the part numbers for the 32 and 38 cards are different, but they are very, very close.

Back