Tascam 34b issue

polishdog90

Hey all,
I'm new to tape recording and I'm having issues with my Tascam 34b 4-track reel to reel. I can get playback and monitor the input but I can't get sound on tape. When I activate the record it records silence (with the previous track still lightly audible) over the previous recording. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the record head but I'm not experienced enough to know how to trouble shoot any further. Let me know if you have any info that can help me out!

Thanks,
Louis

Are you recording with cleaned heads? Q-tips and alcohol? Sometimes even a bit of caked on dirt can be enough to stop the signal from getting onto the tape.

Are you sure you have the tape the right way around? Brown oxide side of the tape facing the heads?

Are you sure your levels are good going in? Loudest peaks around +3 on the meters and average program content around 0 on the VU meter(s)

Have you armed the tracks you wish to record on? Those are the 1-2-3-4 buttons on the front panel which have to be depressed to arm the track(s) you wish to record on.

Cheers! :)

Are you recording with cleaned heads? Q-tips and alcohol? Sometimes even a bit of caked on dirt can be enough to stop the signal from getting onto the tape.

Are you sure you have the tape the right way around? Brown oxide side of the tape facing the heads?

Are you sure your levels are good going in? Loudest peaks around +3 on the meters and average program content around 0 on the VU meter(s)

Have you armed the tracks you wish to record on? Those are the 1-2-3-4 buttons on the front panel which have to be depressed to arm the track(s) you wish to record on.

+1 to what Ghost said.

Furthermore, you should get the manual and follow the basic setup and recording instructions a long with checking what Ghost has said just to be certain that it's not user error rather than an actual fault with the machine.

Thanks for the quick response, but I checked all of those things. I troubleshooted a bit by peaking the volume and switching channels. I also tried recording at both speeds.

I downloaded (and read) a pdf version of the manual before I put tape on the machine. I tried to follow the manual to the best of my ability while setting it up. I don't have a demagnetizer or calibration tapes yet.

Also, is it possible that the tape is too bad/used to record on? I bought mine used on eBay for relatively cheap.

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick response, but I checked all of those things. I troubleshooted a bit by peaking the volume and switching channels. I also tried recording at both speeds.

I downloaded (and read) a pdf version of the manual before I put tape on the machine. I tried to follow the manual to the best of my ability while setting it up. I don't have a demagnetizer or calibration tapes yet.

Also, is it possible that the tape is too bad/used to record on? I bought mine used on eBay for relatively cheap.

Cheers!
Badly worn tape is also a remote possibility, but it would have to be worn to the point of all of the oxide being gone, and you said that you could hear previously recorded material. So that's not it. Though using new fresh tape is always the better way to go.

So, if all the user error issues have been covered, we now have to look a bit deeper.

How did you acquire this machine? Was this also an ebay purchase? What if anything did the seller attest to about the working condition of the machine?

How is the cosmetic condition of it? Does it look pretty banged up from rough usage or shipping damage? If the unit was dropped onto a hard surface, its possible circuit boards inside got dislodged or cracked. So you might have to open up the machine and see if any of that happened and then report back to us.

Back