TASCAM 34b 1/4" @ 15ipc = 24bit??

Herm said:
I know I know this has been beat to death but why is it that Recording got alot harder for everyone, (And if you do not admit that it did you are lying) when every thing went digital.
Computer recording became and still is a big pain in the rear. stand alone units have a big learning curve. everyone is looking for a preamp or a program that will give them some analog warmth.
How many times do you read on any messege board ( why does my audio click? why cant I hear this or that? Why did my computer just quit and i lost 2 hours worth of work? How do I set my program up so I dont have latency? Why did I spend 400
bucks on a program that wont work?

I learned the hard way, ANy thing that I have to dick around with for a week in order to record is not worth having.

I am going to admit that recording on a standalone Fostex D2424LV recorder is exactly like analog with no tape setup, no waiting for the tape to rewind, no head wear, no alignment, no tape costs, no dropouts due to faulty tape, no demagnatizing, instant MIDI locating and chasing, sounds better than my analog machine, hmmmmmmm, analog recording is such a pain in the ass. I really don't miss it at all.

Computer recording, I am with you 100%.
The Fostex D2424LV is a direct replacement for my analog 24 track. All the functions are identicle and I learned how to use it instantly out-of-the-box. Trips through the manual were only needed for more involved SMPTE and MIDI functions and locating functions. I can save up to 56 tracks and paste in the final ones I want instantly. A truly great machine that thinks it is a analog machine.

My 2 cents worth, which I know all of you have been waiting for here in the analog forum where I post several threads a day:

I’d say that 99.99% of all my favorite music has been recorded on analog gear. In other words, it sounds good to me.

cjacek said:
no one will EVER convince me that "digital is better".
Correct. And neither is analog. It's just different.

I keep with analog because it's easy to understand and has loads of knobs. I could probably live with a good standalone DAW too, but I gotta admit that it's hard to beat a real 24 channel mixer for directness of use.

Now, let's see, how do I add a filter to this channel? Humm. Tools->Setup-> noo, Tools->Plugins->Add-> noo...

Hey, I'm back. Thanks for all of the replies, I really do appreciate it.

I know exactly what y'all are saying about analog being better. I'm also a filmmaker and there's alot of discussion about digital video verses film. I'm on the film side.

Anyway, I really want to use analog, but I think I'm going to go for digital. I know, I know. I have Adobe Audition and a computer, all I need to get is a good sound card. Right now it's just easier for me. I definitely want to get an open reel to reel recorder someday, but just not now.

BTW, Have y'all heard the Dixie Chick's latest album, "Home"? It was recorded digitally. I think it sounds great.

Thanks again!
Corey

Back