Tascam 34 mixer selection?

munceyboyjoe

Hello again everybody. Out of the blue, 2 posts in quick succession. Anyway, I have recently acquired a Tascam 34, and am now in the process of hunting down an appropriate mixer to pair with it and start having some fun. I read somewhere that the older Tascam M-30 was a good match, but the only one I've been able to locate is in the US, and I dont fancy shipping it across to the UK. Would any later mixers be suitable? What features should I be looking out for? I have noticed a Tascam M-1516, which I believe to be '4-buss'. Would this lend it to be suitable for 4 track recording? OR, is there something more fundamental to consider, like the number of tape ins/outs on the mixer? In the M-1516's case it appears to be 8 ins. :confused: Ohh dear I'm so confused. Can anyone help?

Just for fun I've included a pic of the 34, and the accompanying 2A mixer that I bought along with it. Hmm on second thoughts, would the 2A mixer do for recording?

Attachments

• teacfront.jpg
    teacfront.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 49
Hello! Nice pic!!

The M-30 is the most basic matched mixer to the 34.
Next would be the M-35.
Following that, would be the M-308/312/320, including the "B" models.

The M-1516 is 16-Input/8-Buss architecture, to the best of my knowledge.

A really classy mixer would be the M-512 & M-520, both 8-Buss.

The M-50 would be the 12-Input/8-Buss mixer that's the predecessor to the M-512.

Any one of these mixers would do a fine job. ;)

I see, thank you for your reply. Are there any mixers out there I should consider if I have a hard time finding those particular ones? Different brands perhaps?

Incedentally, I have noticed a Teac model 3 available. I'm not really sure what aspects I should consider to match a mixer to this deck. Is there anything in particular I should definately avoid?! Thanks again.

DOH! I keep forgetting to make my points. One thing I would like to aim for is easy routing from mixer to tape deck, incase that helps any question-answering. ;)

Sorry,...

I'll clarify by saying,...

routing inputs to tape-tracks is easiest and facilitated best by "buss" architecture. Therefore, you'll need a 4-buss mixer, minimum:

the M-30, M-308/312/320 & M-208/216/224 (not mentioned earlier) are all 4-buss Tascam mixers.

However, "bussing" methodology isn't the "only" way to do it, but maybe the easiest & most flexible way,... with signal routing done without physically repatching.

The M-2A is not ideal, but you can start with it, I think. I don't remember if it has preamps.

I think I have seen some 4-bus mixers with support for 8-track recorders, by letting you switch the bus out between channel 1-4 and 5-8. However, I don't think that's the case for the M-1516.

Other than that, I refer to the mixer list above. Many of those smaller mixers can be had for next to nothing when you find them. Check ebay regularily for a couple of months. That's what I did.

The TEAC Model 3 is the predecessor to the M-30. The Model 3 is basically identical to the M-30, except it has lower-tech EQ, fixed EQ, where the M-30 has sweepable EQ on each channel. They are both 4-buss mixers. ;)

Back