Tascam 32 capstan belt replacement

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
I just a capstan belt replacement using the gwamba youtube video. At A&A, Ghost said you guys had posted the video and explained the step-by-step procedure. For anyone else that runs into this problem, it is not hard to do, and this coming from a person who doesn't normally mess with inner electronics.

The symptoms were that the rewind and fast forward worked but the play did not. After I took the face and head assembly off, I found that the old belt was disintegrated and had residue everywhere like a bad pinch roller. So I had to do some cleaning before putting the new one on, but it plays perfectly again with that big hi-fi sound. I have some pics of the process that I'll post later.

And the last three pics. The last one shows the remnants of the old belt and the crap I cleaned off of the capstan.

Attachments

• DSC07683.jpg
    DSC07683.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC07685.jpg
    DSC07685.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC07686.jpg
    DSC07686.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 348
Hello,
I've got a Tascam 32 and the video and pictures have been really good to get to the root of my problem with PLAY not working. Thanks very much for this.
In the video, you mention 'gingerly, gingerly' to release the connectors to the wires that controls the tape transport buttons. This is needed before I can take the top plate off and get to the cruddy looking capstan belt, which has literally melted and needs replacing in the 32. Could you tell me if I need some sort of tool to release this or if there is some technique involved in releasing the connectors. I've tried pulling but it seems to be in tight. I assume there is some sort of release technique involved?
Thanks,

sometimes they are really tight. garb them from the connector (not the cable) and bend a little, there is a tab in one side. But dont be afraid they will come out.

Thanks. This is in very tight and even with some bending doesn't seem to want to come out or even show signs of give. Suggestions apart fro giving it more pressure? Does the tab down one side need any technique?

That worked a treat. Thanks. The capstan belt has literally melted/moulded itself onto the 32 and turned into a sludge. I'm using meths to remove the sludge. Any other suggestions for removal techniques/tools- apart from hard work?!

Back