Tascam 246 take up on transport sometimes not working.

curbucci

Hi -

The take up on the transport of my Tascam 246 sometimes does not function resulting in the tape bunching up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Is this some calibration issue? Is there some sort of adjustment needed to be done?
Where do I begin?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi -

The take up on the transport of my Tascam 246 sometimes does not function resulting in the tape bunching up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Is this some calibration issue? Is there some sort of adjustment needed to be done?
Where do I begin?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The same problem on the same tape or tapes or does it happen randomly? When was the tape path cleaned last? Is the pinch roller behaving properly or stalling and then starting again? How does it act with fresh out of the box tape?

It happens randomly, maybe too randomly, on different tapes I've used. I cleaned the tape path on a regular basis. I am not sure if the pinch roller is stalling. I have not tried the machine in a few months. I will see if the roller is stalling. If it is the pinch roller is there some adjustment I can make?
I have used fresh out of the box tapes and the take up randomly does not function.

It happens randomly, maybe too randomly, on different tapes I've used. I cleaned the tape path on a regular basis. I am not sure if the pinch roller is stalling. I have not tried the machine in a few months. I will see if the roller is stalling. If it is the pinch roller is there some adjustment I can make?
I have used fresh out of the box tapes and the take up randomly does not function.

What do you clean the pinch roller with? If it's a head cleaner, you are drying it out making it harder than it should be. Clean it with a rubber cleaner-restorer that will hopefully help it grip better. If it's too far gone, nothing will help.

If you are playing old tapes, the shells and/or the tapes themselves could be the problem. Cassettes aren't meant to last forever and yours could be at the end of their usefulness.

Bad idler tires are a very common cause of this kind of tape bunching or tape eating. The capstan and pinch roller feed the tape normally, but the take-up reel slips due to bad rubber on the idler assembly so can’t keep up with the tape travel. The idler assembly comes in two parts and is available from Tascam Parts for less than $13.00 ea.

Or you can follow Dr ZEE’s excellent guide and use faucet adaptor washers, available at Home Depot and other hardware stores. Either way his guide in the link below should be very helpful to you.

http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/teac_244/dr_zee_workshop_tascam_244_project_part4.jpg

Thanks Beck.
I took out the idler tires and the bottom one is worn, not as bad as the Dr. ZEE's example. I am going to replace with the faucet adaptor washers. I hope this is the problem with the take up.
I am glad I found this forum. I would have been lost without your help.

Replaced the tires on the idler and my 246 is back to great working order!
Beck, thank you for supplying me with the information on how to fix this myself.

Back