Tascam 246 - Play, Rec wont work but FF Rew Pause OK

gregory b

Hi

A year ago I turned on my trusty 246 and it chewed tape - so waited for some spare time to do a repair.

Last week, turned on my trusty 246 - pressed play and unpleasant mechanical sound!

So, opened it up and have now replaced control and capstan belt and pinch roller.

But play wont work (or rec), when I hit play it seems dead i.e. the heads dont move up and no rotation etc

Pause causes the heads to move up into position - but not much point in pause when you cant play.

FF and Rewind OK.

The belts are still on.

Any ideas why my 246 wont move the heads up and play?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Hi

A year ago I turned on my trusty 246 and it chewed tape - so waited for some spare time to do a repair.

Last week, turned on my trusty 246 - pressed play and unpleasant mechanical sound!

So, opened it up and have now replaced control and capstan belt and pinch roller.

But play wont work (or rec), when I hit play it seems dead i.e. the heads dont move up and no rotation etc

Pause causes the heads to move up into position - but not much point in pause when you cant play.

FF and Rewind OK.

The belts are still on.

Any ideas why my 246 wont move the heads up and play?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

I looked at the schematics - checking the capstan motor, if the motor had failed the led would be on but I never had the led on.

So I kept poking the start button to see if the led came on - but it started to play!!! :)

Seems I have a sticky play and rec button - I have to keep it down or wiggle it a bit and then it starts.

Any idea if this problem can be fixed by cleaning the switch or is it impossible to get to?

Thanks all

Hope the solution so far helps someone.

Back