Tascam 246 pinch roller

Popvideo

Hey
So I picked up a 246 for a decent price. All in after shipping it was about $100. It was really clean before it was sent however it got banged up and chipped a little on one corner during delivery (thank you ebay).

Anyhow, I knew going into this that I'd have to replace the belts as the ad stated that there was a loud hum and that the tape wouldn't play. I opened it up and the inside was just black sauce. I replaced the belts and the idler tires. This was my first time doing that so i felt pretty good after it was all cleaned up and ready to go. The hum is gone and the tape rewinds and fast forwards like a champ however in play the tape will get sucked into the machine. I looked into the deck with a flashlight to see what was pulling it down and I noticed that even the though pinch roller looked nice, the tape was sticking to it and that's what was causing it to get eaten up. I've read a bunch on the 246 and am confident I'll be able to replace the pinch roller, however I have absolutely no idea where to find the replacement! I've searched eBay. Does anyone know where else to look? I'll be calling teac tomorrow to see if they have parts.
Thanks so much.

P.s. I tried searching for an answer prior to posting. Sorry if I missed it. Excited to use this 4 track

The 246 is the bomb of 4-track cassette multi-track portastudios IMO

Please report back the results of contacting Teac for the pinch roller assembly. That is where I got mine for my 234...same part. This was years ago and it was back ordered for a bit but ultimately I got it.

If Teac doesn't have it/can't get it I'd inquire with Terry Witt of Terry's Rubber Rollers. I believe he added cassette deck pinch rollers to his repertoire some time ago.

BTW, welcome, good question, congrats on the purchase. Another one saved.

And I wouldn't blame eBay on the shipping damage. I'd blame the seller for inadequate packing.

Report back.

I bought mine off ebay from a guy in California who had about 10 he was getting rid of. It seems he's since sold out, but even contacting Tascam gets you nowhere, be patient, there will probably be more available for sale at some time.

Hey!

So the roller finally came in the mail today from terry. All functions work now and my tape isn't getting eaten. I have noticed that the outputs are very low and/or the inputs. The hiss to signal ratio is pretty high and the VU meters even though they are all lit up, don't seen to budge. I've tried bumping up the trim and the gain but it only really distorts the signal. I'm running the monitor l and r out into a power amp and monitors and also have my headphones in the phones out. Both are equally low in volume

What should I do?

On the inputs you have to have the channel assigned to a Pgm Buss, then the corresponding track Rec-Funct-Enabled.
At that point you should see adequate input signal on the meters, able to record.
To play back, you must Un-select the Rec-Funct buttons, and you should see the off-tape signal on the meters.
You may either select the Input to Tape, or use the Monitor section to play back the off-tape signal.
If you're feeding it adequate levels and playback is low, you should first make sure the heads are clean.
After that you may be looking at a calibration issue, which is a bit more complicated.
Described from memory, so I hope I've not forgotten any critical detail.
:spank::eek:;)

When I got home that night I read through the manual thoroughly and solved all of my issues. You were right, I didn't have the pgm buss selected. I finally have the machine functioning fully and it sounds amazing. Thanks for the help guys

Back