Tascam 246 mixer questions

Now my head is swimming.

I thought you wanted to monitor tape tracks and inputs while tracking...yes?

I believe it can be done, you are just limited to only being able to monitor a mix of only 4 busses. The busses may be tape tracks or PGM groups sourcing inputs.

You looked at the last paragraph of page 33 right?

Now my head is swimming.

I thought you wanted to monitor tape tracks and inputs while tracking...yes?

I believe it can be done, you are just limited to only being able to monitor a mix of only 4 busses. The busses may be tape tracks or PGM groups sourcing inputs.

You looked at the last paragraph of page 33 right?

I did look at that paragraph, yes, but until I'm able to sit down at the unit and try some stuff out, it won't make much sense to me. I need to be methodical about things, and so I have to kind of start from scratch when I try it out.

Yes, I wanted to hear my tape tracks on the cue mix (either in the phones or via the MON OUT jacks) while hearing an aux signal (such as EZdrummer or an FX return) with the ability to still record a new track with nothing bleeding onto it.

Hope that makes sense.

Hmm...

Geez this IS a challenge because you are wanting to do, really, 3 different things at once...monitor inputs, monitor tape tracks, and record.

Another idea to consider: patch a individual track out to an input, like a PGM BUSS IN. That will allow you to monitor a tape track in the cue mix while also monitoring inputs and recording. Your limitation would be (as you've identified) the number PGM groups and tracks. If you are set on monitoring ez drummer in stereo, yes that takes up 2 PGM groups. That only leaves two groups, one for one tape track playback and one for recording on 1 tape track only. BUT, if you are only wanting to monitor ez drummer, you could assign it to 2 PGM groups the same as (for instance) 2 tape tracks you want to monitor (so if you want to listen to tracks 3 & 4, assign ez drummer to PGM 3 & 4, connect TAPE OUT 3 & 4 to PGM BUSS IN 3 & 4...you now are monitoring 2 tape tracks and ez drummer in stereo and you haven't touched PGM BUSS 1 or 2. Hope that makes sense. The volume level on the tape tracks will be fixed at the PGM BUSS IN jacks, so you would have to manipulate the level of the ez drummer inputs to get the right mix, and then of course use the monitor mix master and headphone level to get the right mix and level. But I think this would work.

I don't remember exactly how. But i used to monitor what was on tape, what i was currently recording as well as midi stuff. So i know at least that it's possible.

Hey on the bright side of things, at least the analog forum has been ruling the new posts page.
:D

Hmm...

Geez this IS a challenge because you are wanting to do, really, 3 different things at once...monitor inputs, monitor tape tracks, and record.

Another idea to consider: patch a individual track out to an input, like a PGM BUSS IN. That will allow you to monitor a tape track in the cue mix while also monitoring inputs and recording. Your limitation would be (as you've identified) the number PGM groups and tracks. If you are set on monitoring ez drummer in stereo, yes that takes up 2 PGM groups. That only leaves two groups, one for one tape track playback and one for recording on 1 tape track only. BUT, if you are only wanting to monitor ez drummer, you could assign it to 2 PGM groups the same as (for instance) 2 tape tracks you want to monitor (so if you want to listen to tracks 3 & 4, assign ez drummer to PGM 3 & 4, connect TAPE OUT 3 & 4 to PGM BUSS IN 3 & 4...you now are monitoring 2 tape tracks and ez drummer in stereo and you haven't touched PGM BUSS 1 or 2. Hope that makes sense. The volume level on the tape tracks will be fixed at the PGM BUSS IN jacks, so you would have to manipulate the level of the ez drummer inputs to get the right mix, and then of course use the monitor mix master and headphone level to get the right mix and level. But I think this would work.

I tried the Insert switch idea, but I didn't have any luck with it. Maybe I'm not entirely understanding what you're suggesting with it, but did try several things.

Regarding the above, I'm afraid I'm not 100% clear on what you're suggesting. I think I have kind of a grip on it, but then I lose you at some point.

I'm not set on monitoring EZDrummer in stereo at all. I don't care about that. (If I said that earlier, I shouldn't have.) Mono is fine, as it would only be a time-keeping device at this point. (I'll worry about the stereo image during mixdown.)

I did find two different workarounds tonight that will get the job done. It's not exactly as I'd imagined, but they both work. They both involve setting tracks to RMX after they're recorded.

Method A: Monitoring on an EFF mix
1. Push "EFF 1" switch in PHONES select switches.
2. Plug signal from computer (EZdrummer) into CH 5 and 6 Line B inputs.
3. Switch CH 1 (with recorded guitar already) to RMX mode.
4. Turn up EFF 1 knob on CHs 1, 5, and 6.
5. Plug instrument into CH 2 for recording. Switch to Mic/Line, assign to Buss 2, pan hard right, turn up EFF 1 knob (to hear the instrument), and set TRIM level. Push record button 2 switch.
6. Play and adjust mix using CH EFF 1 knobs. Everything will be in mono.
7. Start recording on TRK 2.

Method B: Monitoring PGM mix
1. Push "Monitor" switch in PHONES select switches.
2. Press "PGM/CUE button so that it's lit (in PGM mode).
3. Plug mono signal from computer (EZdrummer) into PGM BUSS 4.
3. Switch CH 1 (with recorded guitar already) to RMX mode, press assign 1 switch, and pan hard L.
5. Plug instrument into CH 2 for recording. Switch to Mic/Line, press assign 2 switch, pan hard right, and set TRIM level. Push record button 2 switch.
6. Play and adjust stereo mix with monitor pan and level knobs.

Both allow me to hear the computer's signal and tape signals while recording a new track. I'm not monitoring the cue mix in either scenario (as I thought I should/could after reading the manual), but the goal is being accomplished nonetheless.

Method C: Monitoring PGM mix and using TAPE OUT/BUSS IN jacks
3. Plug mono signal from computer (EZdrummer) into channel 5 input B for monitoring; select source INPUT B; press PGM 1 assign switch; pan hard L and adjust fader
4. Connect TAPE OUT 1 jack to PGM BUSS IN 1 jack using an RCA cable
5. Plug instrument into CH 2 for recording; switch to Mic/Line, press assign 2 switch, pan hard right, and set TRIM level. Push record button 2 switch.
6. Play and adjust stereo mix with monitor pan and level knobs; pre recorded guitar already on track 1 AND ez drummer will be on MONITOR 1; adjust the level balance of the guitar on track 1 and ez drummer by adjusting the channel 5 fader

This method leaves 4 mixer channels (channels 1, 3, 4 and 6) and PGM BUSS 3 & 4 unused.

Method C: Monitoring PGM mix and using TAPE OUT/BUSS IN jacks
3. Plug mono signal from computer (EZdrummer) into channel 5 input B for monitoring; select source INPUT B; press PGM 1 assign switch; pan hard L and adjust fader
4. Connect TAPE OUT 1 jack to PGM BUSS IN 1 jack using an RCA cable
5. Plug instrument into CH 2 for recording; switch to Mic/Line, press assign 2 switch, pan hard right, and set TRIM level. Push record button 2 switch.
6. Play and adjust stereo mix with monitor pan and level knobs; pre recorded guitar already on track 1 AND ez drummer will be on MONITOR 1; adjust the level balance of the guitar on track 1 and ez drummer by adjusting the channel 5 fader

This method leaves 4 mixer channels (channels 1, 3, 4 and 6) and PGM BUSS 3 & 4 unused.

Awesome, thanks for spelling it out for me like this. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. I had never thought of sending a Tape Out back to a PGM BUSS. I would have been scared of a feedback loop or something.

Good thing to worry about...I considered the same thing, but the block diagram is your friend. Using the cable to route track 1 to PGM 1 is no different than setting channel 1 to RMX, assigning it to PGM 1 and panning hard L. We just bypass the channel. And since the MONITOR mixer doesn't go anywhere but the headphones and MONITOR OUT, there's no loop.

But...

That is always good to be concerned about.

Back