[SOLVED] Tascam 244 new capstan belt issue

frilyd

Hi all,

Today, I picked up a Tascam 244 :). I already knew it would need new belts, so I had ordered them in advance, and got straight to work replacing the capstan belt according to Mike Zee's instructions. Everything went smoothly up to the point where I tested the capstan. I have tried to show this in the attached picture and video snippet. The problem is that the capstan drive belt doesn't ride in the middle of the capstan motor pulley, but creates friction against the lower edge of the pulley. You might be able to hear the slight squeak in the video. Note that the pulley itself seems designed not to let the belt stay in the middle, as the middle part is slightly raised. I understand that my explanations are not very good, but those of you who have changed capstan belts on a 244 hopefully know what I'm trying to say :)

The strange thing is that I've had this happen to me on another 244 that I had changed the belt on. My question is if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is the way it is supposed to be? I don't much like the squeaking noise, and hope to something about it. All input appreciated!

IMG_3168.JPG
This image tries to show the capstan belt and the motor pulley

The capstan motor and belt in action.

i had a similar problem with one of my 244s. Check that the pully and the capstan are thoroughly cleaned. Trace residue causes problems. Clean and clean again with IPA. I found eventually that the belt settled.

Findlay,

As I have seen before, it turned out you were right. Thank you. For future reference, in case others struggle with squeaks from new belts on their portastudios, I can offer some advice:

Cleaning the capstan motor pulley with alcohol does help. I normally use isopropanol for cleaning duties, and it helped in this case, too. Also, the belt may simply need some time to settle or stretch out. Just taking the belt off the pulley and gently stretching it a few times - not much, just slightly more than its operational length - helped. Together, these two things removed all belt squeak from my 244, and it's now in good shape! That, of course, is a joy unto itself.

Back