Tascam 244 for mixing digital recordings

Findlay

I guess this effect has been discussed before but I thought I'd mention it.

Over the course of the last few months I've been recording a song in collaboration with a friend who lives in Australia (I'm in the UK). The song has great sentimental value as it was written by my late brother over 40 years ago and I found the original score in his diaries- I had never heard it played, so a sort of reconstruction process began. Anyways, it involved recording our individual tracks digitally on Tascam DP008 machines and sending them over to each other. Eventually we had a version we approved of and I mixed it using Nuendo. I was very happy with it. I'd used some ADT and reverb on the vocals and guitars. The one day last week, for some reason, I mixed it down from the PC on to tape using my 244 - bass and percussion to track 1, pick guitar to track 2, lead vocal to track 3, harmony vocals/ lead guitars to track 4. I didn't use any reverb or effects in the mixdown - just natural recordings. I then wired up the 244 to my hi-fi system, played back at high levels and....... was totally blown way! The track sounded so much more vibrant and full of life. It reminded me of recordings made in a late 70's analogue 16 track studio - and it sounded just as if the song had been recorded then, which was just the effect I wanted. IwWould recommend anyone to try this. But why is it? Is it the distortion, tape compression - maybe just a mix of these things that make it sound real. Long live tape!

Last edited:
Back