Tascam 244 drive belt??

Rubberball68

Does this mean nobdy knows what I'm talking about?? Open the back of the 244 (which must be like the 246) and there are two screws on eather side of the nylon capstan "axle screw?" iS THIS WHAT COMES OUT TO CHANGE THE BELT??? I'm about to use a dremmel to cot a slot in the screws to get them out. IS THERE A BETTER WAY?? Please help!

Rubberball68 said:
Does this mean nobdy knows what I'm talking about?? Open the back of the 244 (which must be like the 246) and there are two screws on eather side of the nylon capstan "axle screw?" iS THIS WHAT COMES OUT TO CHANGE THE BELT??? I'm about to use a dremmel to cot a slot in the screws to get them out. IS THERE A BETTER WAY?? Please help!

This is the Capstan drive belt in my 246 (Red arrow). 244 is probably similar. The green arrows point to the two screws that come out. Then gently lift the bracket enough to slide the new belt in, after removing the old one, of course. The nylon piece in the middle should not come out, but will lift off of the metal shaft of the capstan flywheel with the bracket. :)

-Tim

Attachments

• 246cdb.jpg
    246cdb.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 326
Beck said:
This is the Capstan drive belt in my 246 (Red arrow). 244 is probably similar. The green arrows point to the two screws that come out. Then gently lift the bracket enough to slide the new belt in, after removing the old one, of course. The nylon piece in the middle should not come out, but will lift off of the metal shaft of the capstan flywheel with the bracket. :)

-Tim

Man, you've got a nice and clean 246!

Yup, it's pretty much the same on the 'ol 244. ;)

Good job on the pict + instructions, Tim! :) Well done.

~Daniel

cjacek said:
Man, you've got a nice and clean 246!

Yup, it's pretty much the same on the 'ol 244. ;)

Good job on the pict + instructions, Tim! :) Well done.

~Daniel

Thanks Daniel. Yup, that 246 is in collector condition. I bought it new in early 87 and never used it nearly as much as I should have. When not in use it's always been under a dust cover custom made by Gotcha-Covered. I've replaced the belts and pinch-roller as they deteriorate with time, but no other issues with it at all.

It was my third and last Portastudio. I owned both the Teac 144 and Tascam 244 before it. Although the TSR-8 is the centerpiece of my studio these days, the old 246 still holds its place of honor on the countertop.

:)

Parts Department
TEAC America
7733 Telegraph Road
Montebello, CA 90640
Phone: 323-727-4840

Capstan drive belt should be around $8.00
Might as well get a control belt while your at it.

:)

Tascam making sqeeky noises during playback?

Help? Just bought a Tascam 244 & its making sqeeky noises during playback?
Is this the drive belt?

FIxed it:)

FIxed it:)
Got a drivr belt from an old walkman and it did the trick.
It was the smaller belt that needed changing.
Rhys:D

Back