Thread: Tascam 244

Thanks

Tascam 244

Sign in to disable this ad
    Excited to be getting my Tascam 244 four track back from professional service. Transport being totally restored to new and it was so clean otherwise it should be a great deck. Not sure if I'll be keeping it or selling it as I do most of my recording digitally, and I do like the idea of getting a beautifully restored deck in the hands of someone who will use it on a regular basis. I'll keep you updated as soon as I get it back!

Thanks
    Congrats! The 244 is a beautiful machine. Curious, though, why did you buy it if you weren't planning on using it?

(I vote for keeping it and using it!)
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Good question. My plan was to keep it and use it. Then my personal finances dictated otherwise. But I just fear I'll use it so infrequently. But once I get it running, and if my finances turn around a bit, be a different story. I appreciate the look and feel of these older machines but don't want to keep a good one from getting the use it deserves. I'm hoping to make a video of it but n action once I get it back. Got a new old stock TDK SA-60 ready to go!

Thanks
    I know all too well the reality of having to part with gear because of financial situations! Good luck with it!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famous beagle View Post
    I know all too well the reality of having to part with gear because of financial situations! Good luck with it!
    I have the hardest time parting with stuff.... unless it works and is pristine.... then it seems to go easily... It's the junk that still needs fixing I have a hard time parting with.....
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    Yeah. I had high hopes when I bought it and then after I committed to reconditioning it I had an issue come up. But either way, I'm still committed to bringing it back to life because it was in such great shape to start with. Just the usual old rubber needing replacement and then getting it up to spec. The tech I have is anazing. Total attention to detail.

Thanks
    Well my tech cannot get parts from Tascam. Needs idler wheels and pinch roller. If anyone wants this and has source for it, I'll let it go for the $150 I got it for plus actual shipping cost.

Thanks
    Pinch rollers for those old Tascam machines are very hard to come by. Many people end up sending their roller to Terry for reconditioning. I did the same with my roller from my 246, and I can vouch for his work. It's like new. The total was about $45 ($35 for the service plus $5 each for send and return shipping).

Regarding the idler tires, Dr. Zee (from this forum) put together an amazing tutorial on the subject and showed some substitution parts you can use if you can't find idler tires.

http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/...ject_part4.jpg

Also, I found this site, which shows they have idler tires for the 244 for $5 per pair.
    Dynamic Technology Group

I don't know if any of this will change your mind, but I just thought I'd mention it. I basically had same issues with my 246 (idler tires and pinch roller) and was able to get it up and running this way.
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Post a picture man. I had one of those backn in the day.

Thread Information