Tascam 244 4 Track is mirroring each track onto the other. Hints?

The first track I lay down sounds amazing, I’m so glad I bought this machine!

Then when I try to add overdubs, every new track has the previously recorded track end up on it!! It’s even louder than whatever I just overdubbed!

For example: I lay down bass on track one. I try to then lay down guitar on track 2, and oh no, the bass is now also on track 2, and it’s much louder than the guitar. And the bass (and now guitar) will jump onto every new track.

Tech says he’s stumped: he thinks my record play head is fried inside.

I’m just seeking confirmation before I spend $50 on a new head for it.

Can you help?

Can you concur that it sounds excellent!? ?

What happens when you take a known good tape with recorded material on it and try to record nothing? Set the record mode to 4-track record mode so all 4 tracks record, but have the input source set to off, and the faders at null. Does the material on the tape get wiped, or does nothing change on the tape?

If the 244 is like the 144, you should have tracks 1+3 panned hard left and 2+4 panned hard right while recording (*and listening with the monitor section, not the faders).

I will try that too. I don’t think I’ll be able to pick up the 244 in Milwaukee for a few days still. What a great resource this forum of people is!

You haven't left the 3-way switches for each channel just under the VU meters set to remix by any chance? If you do this you could send the output of any recorded channels to the one you are recording on.

I got the 244 back. I tried recording track by track except with the pan control for each track panned to the buss it’s Arm switch is in. So 1 and 3 were left, 2 and 4 were right. That did not solve the problem. I’ll test it again making sure the monitor switch is in the correct position.

Hi Sweetbeats, I tried that and it did erase all the tracks. I just got the manual. I’m going to try recording again soon and see precisely which track is ending up where.

Hi Sweetbeats, I tried that and it did erase all the tracks. I just got the manual. I’m going to try recording again soon and see precisely which track is ending up where.

Okay. Good. That rules out one possible cause, where the erase circuitry is not working so new material just gets added to old material. But if you can record nothing and erase previously recorded material, that circuitry is working.

SOLVED!! Hooray!! I was making two errors: track by track must be panned hard left or right, corresponding with the “buss each track is in on the arm switch” AND you must have the monitor switch set to CUE or the master track will record onto your new track!!

I am so relieved. You guys saved me.

Back