Tascam 22-2 or Revox A77?

got my pinch roller and capstan belt, done been changed! took me a little while to change the captsan belt, but there was a fantastic thread on how to do it here---that helped immensely.

i dont really have any good tape yet, just some 407 with probably SSS and a 1969 trutone tape. I know that the old tape cant have sticky shed so i tried her out. It's definitely consumer tape because it's really hissy and doesn't record at the levels it should be, but it's still tape. I mixed a song out of my 246 to the 22-2 and monitored off the tape, it was the first time i'd ever heard any of my music on 1/4'' before. almost shed a tear...

407 is great tape if it's new enough not to have sticky shed. I've got one of my 22-2's setup for it. I can use other tape as well of course but that's what I set it up with for levels. Yeah the old truetone tape will be hissy so no surpirses. Congrats on getting the belt and roller changed out. :)

Scotch 207 is a good sticky-free alternative to 407. You can usally find NOS on Ebay.

I thought I read somewhere that Scotch 207 also had SSS. If I find some cheap i'll try it out.

I just got 10 NOS Maxell UD 35-90 reels. Wasn't cheap (cost more than the r2r) BUT that should suffice for a while:)

I have two reels of Ampex 456, no idea when they were made, but they seems to work just fine and sound good. I know the machine isn't setup for 1.5 mil tape, but a couple of plays can't be all that bad.

I'm getting it aligned and biased in a few weeks for the Maxell!

If its factory set its already setup for ud35 Its one of the tapes they recommend for the 22-2

well i dont know how it's setup tbh, was used at a marketing firm in LA. I doubt they changed it from factory spec, but either way ill have a tech look at it sometime. The Maxell sounds good! will loook into Scotch 207.

Back