TASCAM 22-2 output too low for computer interface.

Rickson Gracie

I just hooked up my 22-2 to my Apogee converter and then into my pro tools le rig only to find that my onscreen input levels were very low. Im only getting about 30% on the onscreen VU meter with the 22-2 output knob in the center. When I turn the output on the 22-2 all the way up I start to get close to red but it starts to get noisy.

The recording Im trying to record into the computer was recorded pretty hot with the 22-2 meters in the red.

When I connect to the 22-2 directly to my monitors everything seems pretty normal.

Ive tried this with the TSR8 without problems (although I wasnt using the Apogee at the time.)

any suggestions? Thanks:)

I just hooked up my 22-2 to my Apogee converter and then into my pro tools le rig only to find that my onscreen input levels were very low. Im only getting about 30% on the onscreen VU meter with the 22-2 output knob in the center. When I turn the output on the 22-2 all the way up I start to get close to red but it starts to get noisy.

The recording Im trying to record into the computer was recorded pretty hot with the 22-2 meters in the red.

When I connect to the 22-2 directly to my monitors everything seems pretty normal.

Ive tried this with the TSR8 without problems (although I wasnt using the Apogee at the time.)

any suggestions? Thanks:)

What is the input sensitivity of the Apogee? If +4, that explains the low levels. Does the Apogee have a -10 setting? If so, use it and you are level matched and ready to go. If not, you need to get a -10 to +4 line amplifier.
There are several flavors of these devices out there on the new and used market.

Also did you have the knobs on your 22 set at 7 when you mixed into it?
If these where set to low could be a reason you have some noise.

Also did you have the knobs on your 22 set at 7 when you mixed into it?
If these where set to low could be a reason you have some noise.

I font remember what the input level was but it was high enough to have the VUs be in the red so I would think that the level coming out should be loud enough...right?

RRuskin, can you post a link to one of these -10 to +4 line amplifiers?

I looked in the manual for the Apogee and there are internal jumpers that can change the analog reference level. I guess I can open the unit up and see what its set as.

thanks

I font remember what the input level was but it was high enough to have the VUs be in the red so I would think that the level coming out should be loud enough...right?

RRuskin, can you post a link to one of these -10 to +4 line amplifiers?

I looked in the manual for the Apogee and there are internal jumpers that can change the analog reference level. I guess I can open the unit up and see what its set as.

thanks

Before going nuts over this be aware that your analog machine 0 should equal somewhere between -20 to -12 dfs, (digital full scale) depending on how much headroom you desire.

This is the unit I have. http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=18797 Tascam made or makes one as well. There are others I'm certain but you will need to do some Googling to find them.

If in your shoes, I'd see where the Apogee is set. Why buy another box when the answer might be right at hand?

Is this your Rosetta 800?

You can set the internal jumper to for -10 dBv, which will correspond to -13 dBfs

By default your inputs on the Rosetta are +4 dBu, reference -16 dBfs.

If the 22-2 is calibrated correctly, a 1kHz tone played @ 0 VU with the output knobs set @ 7 will give you a nominal -10 dBv output (.316 mV). You should see -13 dBfs on the digital side.

I don't know what sort of analog interface cable you have rigged up, but the 22-2 is unbalanced (RCA of course). The Rosetta has balanced inputs, so you'll want to be sure you have the right pins going to the right places.

Let me know if you need to know how your interface cables should be configured… but you may have that figured out already.

~ Tim
:)

Last edited:
Is this your Rosetta 800?

You can set the internal jumper to for -10 dBv, which will correspond to -13 dBfs

By default your inputs on the Rosetta are +4 dBu, reference -16 dBfs.

If the 22-2 is calibrated correctly, a 1kHz tone played @ 0 VU with the output knobs set @ 7 will give you a nominal -10 dBv output (.316 mV). You should see -13 dBfs on the digital side.

I don't know what sort of analog interface cable you have rigged up, but the 22-2 is unbalanced (RCA of course). The Rosetta has balanced inputs, so you'll want to be sure you have the right pins going to the right places.

Let me know if you need to know how your interface cables should be configured… but you may have that figured out already.

~ Tim
:)

Yes its my Rosetta. I picked it up right before I went analog crazy:)

I have a (I forget what you call it) multi pin cable that goes into the rosetta with RCA male ends. It's of high quality. I remember paying over $100 for it.

Ill have to open up the rosetta tomorrow and check the jumpers.

thanks

I set the Apogee channels 1 and 2 to -10 and it works perfect now. thanks everyone for their help.

I am wondering if its a good idea to set all the jumpers to -10. would this cause future problems?

I set the Apogee channels 1 and 2 to -10 and it works perfect now. thanks everyone for their help.

I am wondering if its a good idea to set all the jumpers to -10. would this cause future problems?

If all of your gear is -10, set the Apogee to work with it.

Back