Tascam 22-2 issues

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Tascam 22-2 and I am having a few issues with it. I'm hoping to get a little insight. First off, I'll mention that I don't have the manual for this machine. It didn't come with one and I've been unsuccessful at find a copy or even a PDF online anywhere.

The first issue has to do with the take up reel on the right. As the tape spools it is rubbing against the inner part of the reel. I've looked inside and measured the height of the reel tables and they are measuring equally. One thing I noticed though is that the metal piece that's at the base of the right tension arm rod is missing a washer, which is present on the left tension arm assembly. When I push on the metal piece on the right it moves up and down, but it doesn't on the left. In the pic on the left (sorry for the duplicate - I can't seem to get rid of it) my finger is next to the screw with the missing washer. Sorry if my terminology is wrong! I'm trying to describe it as clearly as possible. Do you think this piece having a little play would be enough to effect the alignment? If it is, would any small washer do? I know these machines are precisely assembled.

The second set of issues I actually just noticed while the machine was open. The first has to do with the small rubber buffer piece that tension arm assembly hits when it's activated (pic on the right). It's all worn away. Is there a way to put something in place to effectively serve as a shock absorber, which I think this piece is for. The second issue, which seems like it may be more important, is the string above the left tension arm (also picture on the right). It is attached to a spring at one end and not attached to anything on the other. It also appears like it had a loop at the loose end that has snapped (but I'm not certain). I think it attaches to the tension arm assembly, but I'm not certain where.

I was able to get some tape on the machine and it appears all of the basic functions work, but I did not explore in depth too much since I noticed the tape hitting the reel. The machine seems to be used but not abused. There are some other smaller issue, but I'd rather address the issue already mentioned first.

Thanks!

IMG_7432.JPGIMG_7431.JPGIMG_7432.JPGIMG_7431.JPG

Last edited:
Hang in there. I’ll see if I have some info in my library.

But regarding that washer, it is critical that the washer is in place, and it needs to be the same as the other side. Not just any washer will do. Measure with dial calipers. I’ll see if I can find a part number for that washer and honestly you might call Teac and see if they have any in stock once I can find some more info. Stay tuned.

Thanks, sweetbeats. I might take the washer off of the left tension arm and bring it to the local Ace to have them size it and get one for the right side. If you find the part number though, I'd appreciate that also.

Before purchasing the 22-2 I was searching heavily through this forum and a few others about the machine. I seem to remember reading a post about upgrading some of the electronics on this machine, and I feel like you were the one who mentioned it, sweetbeats. I could be wrong though! I was taking in a lot of info. If you have any suggestions in that regard, that would be hugely appreciated. I would purchase the necessary components now while I have the machine open. I'll keep trying to scour these forums again for the post I saw. Really don't know why I didn't bookmark that one.

Just get the machine working. It’ll sound good. Put “upgrades” on the “maybe later” list.

Trust me. Don’t get distracted.

Local hardware store is not likely to have the correct size washer, and it may be a nylon washer to boot. Stay tuned.

Focus, focus. I'm excited to learn about how tape machines work. I know I have a ways to go, and that there will very likely be things I will have to defer to qualified tech in the future. But I'm definitely excited to get started.

I called Tascam parts to ask about a replacement lamp for the VU meter, as well as seeing if they possibly had a manual or replacement heads available. They didn't have either but the person I spoke with let me know that the washer size was 5x8x0.25. The lamp for the meter is an 8 volt 55 ma lamp. If nylon is not advisable for the washer is there a better material? He said they used a "hard fiber" material but didn't seem to be concerned about a replacement.

Thanks again.

The tension arm roller washer: there are two of them, one above the roller and one below. They both *must* be in place. They are Teflon thrust washers. Teac quoted you the correct dimensions. You are not going to find the correct replacement at a local hardware store. The dimensions are critical...the thickness especially. Too thin and there will be slop and tape guidance issues, too thick and the roller will bind, and the tolerances are close. And you cannot use metal. Since these are load-bearing washers, the Teflon is the correct material. Nylon could work but if it was me I’d be sourcing the correct part. They are the same as used on a number of 1/4” and 1/2” models. eBay prices are stupid, but here is a vendor that is selling what I believe is the correct factory part for about $11 shipped:

NEW MICRO WASHER TEAC TASCAM TENSION TENSIONER ROLLER 22-4 X-7R X-1000R | eBay

I have no connection or experience with the seller. They also have pairs of the washers for about $15 shipped. I’d be messaging them pre-sale to confirm the dimensions. I only looked at eBay. There are likely other parts vendors out there. You could do a web search for “Teflon washer”.

The detached string...that’s supposed to have a look at the free end and attach to...something. I’m not yet clear what that does or how it attaches. I’d have to do further research. I PM’ed you with some additional info.

As far as the tension arm stop, I’m not clear from the pictures you posted what part you are talking about exactly, but if it is what I’m thinking, that is something you *can* get at a local hardware store...find the right size vinyl or rubber tubing and cut off a small piece and press on to the metal tang.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same washer, the one in questions belongs to the screw that holds the whole tension arm assembly to the base of the machine. I think you may be referring to the washers that are on the actual tension roller itself? If so, it is still helpful because I've now noticed one those is missing also. It's so strange - most of this machine appears to be in decent order but the tension arms are kind of a mess.

I'm sure it's my fault if there is a mixup. I've posted a few more pics for clarification. I removed the screw to the left tension arm assembly as an example. The one picture shows the assembly with the screw missing. The second picture shows the screw removed. So this is where it gets frustrating. Not sure how clear the photo is. But this screw has a locking washer with a large bronze washer underneath it, and a smaller thin teflon washer (on the side) that goes under that. This set up seems to be complete since the left tension arms moves freely and fluidly. The right tension arm, however, only has the large bronze washer. It is missing the locking washer and thin teflon washer. So now it seems like I need 2 parts for this piece. I also think that the part the guy at Tascam parts referenced was not for this screw, but for the tension roller.

I also forgot to mention that he told me the string is there for to give tension to the left tensions arm. He didn't elaborate beyond that. My guess is it looped around the counterweight on the inner part of the tension arm assembly. The part has been discontinued and it is not something readily available, so that too is frustrating. Maybe I can buy some string and try to replicate it somehow.

Tascam 22 Assy 2.JPGTascam 22-2 Assy 1.JPG

The second set of issues I actually just noticed while the machine was open. The first has to do with the small rubber buffer piece that tension arm assembly hits when it's activated (pic on the right). It's all worn away. Is there a way to put something in place to effectively serve as a shock absorber, which I think this piece is for. The second issue, which seems like it may be more important, is the string above the left tension arm (also picture on the right). It is attached to a spring at one end and not attached to anything on the other. It also appears like it had a loop at the loose end that has snapped (but I'm not certain). I think it attaches to the tension arm assembly, but I'm not certain where.

The small rubber buffer is a shock asorber for the tension arm. On my X-1000R the buffer had disintegrated, I replaced the a piece of self-adhesive 10mm thick neoprene.

The string with the spring which goes around the black drum is a damper, which prevents the tension arms bouncing when the tape transport starts to move the tape. There are similar ones in Tascam 34 the damper assembly is mounted vertically in the 34. But from picture the 22-2 damper assembly appears to be horizontally mounted in relation to the tension arm. One end of the string should be attached to the tension arm.

Attached pic is a screen snip from the Tascam 22-4 manual of the damper, the string should have a loop, and does indeed hook around the weight on the tension arm.

There is a manual available from Rick at High Quality Service Manuals Schematics Repair User Owner Operating Instructions Vintage Classic Audio Stereo PDF they have both the original manual, and also reproduction manual. They are not free, but Rick's reproductions are usually excellent, I have had three or four different manuals over the last three or four years from him and I have no complaints.

Tension Arm Damper.JPG

Last edited:
Just to be sure we are talking about the same washer, the one in questions belongs to the screw that holds the whole tension arm assembly to the base of the machine. I think you may be referring to the washers that are on the actual tension roller itself? If so, it is still helpful because I've now noticed one those is missing also. It's so strange - most of this machine appears to be in decent order but the tension arms are kind of a mess.

I'm sure it's my fault if there is a mixup. I've posted a few more pics for clarification. I removed the screw to the left tension arm assembly as an example. The one picture shows the assembly with the screw missing. The second picture shows the screw removed. So this is where it gets frustrating. Not sure how clear the photo is. But this screw has a locking washer with a large bronze washer underneath it, and a smaller thin teflon washer (on the side) that goes under that. This set up seems to be complete since the left tension arms moves freely and fluidly. The right tension arm, however, only has the large bronze washer. It is missing the locking washer and thin teflon washer. So now it seems like I need 2 parts for this piece. I also think that the part the guy at Tascam parts referenced was not for this screw, but for the tension roller.

I also forgot to mention that he told me the string is there for to give tension to the left tensions arm. He didn't elaborate beyond that. My guess is it looped around the counterweight on the inner part of the tension arm assembly. The part has been discontinued and it is not something readily available, so that too is frustrating. Maybe I can buy some string and try to replicate it somehow.

View attachment 101601View attachment 101602

Ohhhhh okay. I get it.

So maybe this eBay listing has what you need:

TASCAM 22-2 REEL TO REEL RIGHT TENSION ARM ASSY USED | eBay

On yours, something must have happened at some point and they had the whole thing apart and weren’t careful keeping track of all the hardware bits. Those tension arms can get bonked and get tweaked. Maybe this happened and the removed it to try and straighten it, but didn’t get it right and that’s also contributing to your issue. I had bent tension arm rollers on a Tascam 48 I had...straightened them using my fingers and a precision square.

Seems you should be able to come up with something for the damper string using fine braided steel cable or even stranded electrical wire and crimps or something. Maybe another member here with a 22 can measure the dimensions of the cable and loop and post?

Yes indeed the Teac rep was quoting the dimensions of the tension arm roller thrust washer. You’ll want to get that too, but you can run the machine with just the bottom on okay if the machine is on its back; not ideal but it will work at least in the interim.

That makes complete sense about the string's function. The string itself is actually fully intact except it snapped where the loop is. I'll have to get creative and try to come up with a replacement. Maybe use some picture wire. I just wonder who much give is needed. Maybe I could buy string and find something to replace the little metal pieces that were originally used.

Regarding the tensions arm washers, there is one thing that seems strange in the manual. There are no washers listed for either tension arm. I've take a screenshot of the left tension arm view in the manual, but it's the same for the right. Washers on other moving parts seem to be accounted for, so it's strange there's nothing for this one. But there definitely seems to be a freer movement of the tension arm assembly with those washers in place on the one arm. I may just buy the piece on ebay. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have a full set of replacement parts.

May well buy the listed washer for the actual tension roller too. Scoured the internet but a washer that small in teflon, or even nylon, is nearly impossible to locate. Guess that's why people can upcharge them on Ebay. Oh well!

Tascam 22 tension screenshot.png

It is easy to guess what the problem is and spend a lot of time chasing the wrong item. This happens all the time with beginner repair people. First for the tape rubbing on the flange of the reel or it not being centered on the hub- that is a reel table adjustment that I do all the time. You need some Hex Allen wrench tools of the Metric type to resolve this- I use Xcelite 99 type tools for years for this. I have serviced this model probably a 100 times or more. I worked at Teac in Chicago and am still working on decks now. Take one problem at a time.

I stock the two Nylon thin washers for both the Pinch Roller and Tension arms in my shop. They are originally 15/1000 to 20/1000" thickness. These need to be custom ordered as most hardware shops have nothing like them.

Thanks for the info on the reel table adjustment. I was actually able to adjust them with a hex wrench. This eliminated the tape rub problem.

Regard the nylon washers - is this something you have available to sell or can you provide a resource to custom order them? I would be interested in buying more than one since I have two other tascam machines that also use these washers.

Mechanically, everything is actually running and functioning. I just want to make sure the machine is properly set up before I start using it regularly. I know this requires calibration and mechanical adjustments. I recently oiled the mechanical parts, treated all the pots with contact cleaner and cleaned all the cobwebs and built up grime on the inside of the machine carefully with alcohol and cotton swabs.

I did and I appreciate it. I was just being cheap :eek::eek:

It's a little more than I was hoping to spend on washers. I know costs can add up working with tape, but if I can save a penny or two I'm all for it!

I'm thinking the link is my best options so I'll likely go with that.

Oh, and I also need to track down the second washer which seems even less common. It’s hard to imagine a handful of washers preventing this from working. Guess that’s the way it goes with precision machines.

No, I need one for the tension arm assembly screw and one for the tension arm roller. I think I've made this confusing because I was bringing things up as I found them. I've included another couple pictures. The one picture shows where the tension arm assembly screw goes. In the second picture, on the right is the tension roller and the washer that goes with it. In the middle is the screw set up that held on the right tension arm assembly. On the left is the screw set up that held on the left tension arm assembly.

If you notice the screw set up for the right and left tension arm assemblies is different. The screw for the left has a smaller bronze locking washer with a larger flat bronze washer below that. The one for the right has no locking washer, but it does have the flat bronze washer, but also a black (nylon? teflon?) washer that was below it. So I'm thinking the tension arms were fiddled with my the previous owner at some point at not assembled correctly.

I did order the replacement right tension arm kit that was on eBay. The screw that came with that was identical to the screw set up on the left in the picture. So I'm wondering if the large black washer was put in as a (wrong) replacement on the right tension arm, and maybe it's not necessary.

Thanks for your patience. I know I've mixed this all up. But hopefully this helps to clarify things. I just want to make sure I'm looking for the right replacements.

Tascam washers 2.JPGTascam washers 1.JPG

Back