Tascam 22-2 Issues

Golden

I just got my 22-2 today... shipped...

Anyway, the rotating thingy that the take-up reel sits on is bent, so the take-up reel spins like a warped record. Also, it's having problems rewinding.

As you can see, I've got some problems happening... Nonetheless, I know a guy who fixes reel to reels for a living, thus I'll be contacting him tomorrow.

In the meantime, can someone let me know... Can this be repaired? What are the chances?

..... this 22-2 looks to me like yet another victim of shipping damage as the result of insufficient packing. You need to find out how extensive the internal damage is before knowing if it could be fixed and what it would entail. Surely, the bent reel table would need to be replaced but who knows what else is wrong.

Hey, in any case, DO take your 22-2 to your tech guy, as first line of business, have him poke around and if all else can be fixed and you still need a reel table then I'll send you one.

Hey mate! I see you're located in Canada... Me too!

Anyway, the heads look good. I did some test recordings and it sounded great... Only problem is the bent "reel stick thingy" and the slow rewinding. I couldn't help myself; I called my tech guy at his house. He said the rewind problem is most likely the motor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I like the sound I heard coming out of this machine.

You know, this is only the second thing I bought on eBay… I just knew this was going to happen. Honestly, I saw it coming.

Nonetheless, I’m looking forward to using this thing…

Golden said:
Hey mate! I see you're located in Canada... Me too!

Anyway, the heads look good. I did some test recordings and it sounded great... Only problem is the bent "reel stick thingy" and the slow rewinding. I couldn't help myself; I called my tech guy at his house. He said the rewind problem is most likely the motor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because I like the sound I heard coming out of this machine.

You know, this is only the second thing I bought on eBay… I just knew this was going to happen. Honestly, I saw it coming.

Nonetheless, I’m looking forward to using this thing…

Are you in Golden, BC ?

At the very least the motors will need to be oiled as they are the non closed type. Also, what type of tape are you using ? Was the entire tape path cleaned ?

Looks to me as this 22-2 just needs your typical servicing, including the oiling and adjustments. I can't speak further though. I have a feeling it's not a hopeless case.

The bent reel spindle is easily replaced by getting the whole reel table. If you need one give me a shout. (No charge).

Any other apparent damage to your 22-2 ? Post some picts, including one of the heads. That would be nice. :)

cjacek, thanks very much. I'm taking the deck to the repair guy right now. The heads look nice. Nonetheless, I'll post a pic when I get the machine back.

Thanks for your help... I really appreaciate it...

I'll be back...

Nope... I wish! Toronto... Although, I've been to Golden... The west is by far the best!

Back