Tascam 22-2 circuit board cracked

joe lp

Well, I won a 22-2 on EBay and it seems to have been damaged in shipping. I immediately noticed that it had some cracks in the back plastic cover and upon plugging it in it wouldn't turn on. So I popped it open and the main circuit board is cracked in two places. Is there any point in trying to get this repaired? Could I buy another broken one and swap the board? Thanks for any ideas.

How bad is it cracked? Which board? The motherboard? Can you get a couple more posts in and put up some pics? If it is minor and you are handy with a soldering iron you can bridge the cracks with trimmings from capacitor or resistor tails. If it is major then that depends on how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole.

If the back cover got cracked it is really hard to know how deep the damage goes or if more damage occurred when you powered it up damaged.

Put up some pics so we can get a better "picture" of the damage and what area we are talking about.

Sorry to that, had several of the same model damaged in shipping, I bet it's the power-supply board mounted between two metal-slots.

Yes, power-supply board is cracked, I would replace the whole board.
You have damage 50 %, both playback/rec amp section + transport control + motors are all powered from this board.
Before you buy a second board, check the frame on the right side (from the back of the unit) most cases you find a shifted frame where the metal slot holding the power-supply board is attached.
If so you need to adjust the frame first before mounting a replacement board.
A power-supply board from Teac X-300 series will also work with a few changes if you can't find a 22-2. :)

Thank you for the help. I think I'm just going to move on and try to find something local (shouldn't be too hard in Brooklyn). Shipping was insured so hopefully I can recoup some of the cash. Anybody want a busted 22-2?

MAN!

+1 to what tex said...cracked clean through. I'd move on too because a hit strong enough to compress the frame enough to pop the PSU board like that surely effected other things as well.

ARG! :mad:

Best of luck to you.

Rolf (Vintage Texas) is a top-notch fella so you can rely on what he says and on any transactions you may have with him outside the fourm. ;)

Thanks Sweetbeats :rolleyes:
Did you notice the picture where the transformer is, board is split in two pieces.
Poor packing and with the rear plastic panel taking a hit, the first thing that goes is power-supply board:(
Best way to ship a 22-2 or 22-4 is standing up inside the box + alot of wrapping and support around.

Found a picture of the last one I fixed, notice the brackets on each side attached to the frame, that's the problem :(

Attachments

• Tascam 22-2.jpg
    Tascam 22-2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 28
Indeed, Rolf (Vintage Texas) is the man!!:D

I swore off eBay when my last 22-2 was also damaged in transit. The same exact damage to that board + broken off potentiometers (from the PCB) in the amp section.

Other than repair / restoration, Rolf is one of the very few that I would entrust with shipping one of those units. He knows how to do it right.:)

Back