tascam 16-track tape recorder, help needed!!

bonnie billy

Hi everybody,
i'm going to buy a 2nd-hand Tascam 16-track tape recorder in a few weeks.
I have to choose between a Tascam ms16 and a TASCAM 85-16B.

The only thing I know is that they both use 1" tape, but I can hardly find any information on the net, believe me, I've been searching for hours.
The problem is that I don't know which one to choose and which one is better..
Can somebody please give me any advice?
I'd REALLY appreciate it very much!!
Thank you very much!!
Bonnie Billy

Tascam 16-tracks

Have you run a search on the Tascam bulletin board?

If not, look under Analog and Vintage at:
http://209.216.16.19/ubb/ultimatebb.php

I'd also be surprised if there wasn't some good info on rec.audio.pro, though I haven't searched that particular subject.

The 85-16 is older (introducted 1981, versus 1987 for the MS16). I'm not sure when either was discontinued. The 85-16 might have been replaced by the MS16, though it may have been discontinued earlier in favor of the ATR60 (1985).

MSR-16S

Get the MSR-16, only because you can expand tracks, by synching two of them with a midiizer. (the midiizer also allows you to synch everything else up, with computer, drum machines, keyboards, vcrs, etc.)Don't know anything about the other, but I have (2)MSR-16's. Love em, and if you need a remote, I'm selling my RC-416 cause I have the midiizer. (Its a transport remote also) Great machines-you can't go wrong. But if your having it shipped, have it professionally packed on a small pallet, and DON'T use UPS. They destroy stuff. Been there. Also check the heads. You won't be disappointed with this machine. This is not to say the other machine is bad, I just don't know about that one.
fitz:)

MS16

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Sorry, that is a ms-16. not a msr-16, my mistake....

Although what you say about shipping, at least, really applies to the MS16 (and I guess the 85-16 as well). Unless you're a really big person, I'm pretty sure an MS16 weighs more than you do (including the stand, that is).

Back