Tascam 134 Project

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
What??? Two projects going at once???? You betcha :) . Actually, I was kind of at a dead end on the 244 Portastudio because I didn't have schematics, but someone on here did, and now I think I can continue that project also.... but for now.... onto the 4 track tape player....

<backstory>. Around seven years ago, I started an ambitious goal of becoming a very amateur campfire cowboy chord guitar player. Goal Achieved!!! :thumbs up: While heading down that path, I started to get involved in recording and then analog recording and this site etc.... and managed to become a very amateur campfire cowboy chord sound guy too (just as a bonus).
Well I got into a little game where someone would record a track on a cassette, mail it to the next guy who laid down another track etc.... until 4 individuals , playing different instruments, would try to make a cool song, not knowing what the previous guy did. Here's an example:

Wyatt Earp by The Bachelor | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Anyway.... one of the rules was the tape has to be recorded at standard tape speed (1-7/8 ips). I had refurbished (with many people's help here) a Tascam 234 which I still use today. Unfortunately the 234 is only a 3-3/4 ips machine. I made due with an old beatup portastudio, but had been looking for a dual speed Tascam 134 for a couple of years..... Last year I found it......

49688143086_1db0dcd54b.jpg

Not being wealthy and extremely afraid of my wife, I have to buy these things cheap and try to fix em. That's what I'm doing here and now. Currently, the tape player has two problems.

1. Blinking liights when its Powered up- I powered it up the first time and was extremely disappointed three lights were flashing after a second or two.
49688144621_065ab725cc.jpg

and 2. Degraded test signal on channel 4 output- This may or may not be a problem. I think the RCA jack is a bit corroded. I'll spray it with some Deoxit and see if it gets any better.

I don't have any schematics for this one either, and put in an email to Teac to see if I could be as lucky as Sweetbeats and score a service manual.

I decided to start tearing into the thing. I had to replace the tires and belt on my 234 when I first got it, so I know a little bit about these old 4-tracks..... at least what I can remember..... I could not believe how easily accessible everything was!!! After dealing with the portastudio and the 234, this thing was downright spacious!!!

49688447877_62a347d078.jpg

One of the internet rumors I found was that this tape player was a lot like the Tascam 238. I didn't find that to be true. The 134 doesn't have 4 separate channel cards, and the tape drive is totally different. I was a little bummed about that, since I had the 238 manual and schematics....... but it was pretty easy to see one of the problems.

49688588852_d9533eede3.jpg

So the new belt is ordered, and I also ordered some grease or the gears. I hear these old plastic gears can kind of jam up if not lubed properly.

I'll keep updating this as the parts start rolling in......

So does it play tapes?

Or does it just flash lights when you try to play?

If that’s the case, pull the tape door off, press the tape loaded switch or switches with your fingers so the deck thinks a cassette is loaded, and press play. Does the headblock assembly move up like it’s engaging a tape or does it not budge?

If that’s the case, you likely have a broken or jammed “gear C”. This was the case with mine. I disassembled the transport and found the gear C was just jammed on its hub by old dried up lubricant. Cleaned it up, applied new lubricant...I haven’t reinstalled the transport and tested it out yet, but I’m reasonably certain that will resolve the problem.

Your track 4 output...there are functions on the 134 for noise reduction defeat and/or pulse tone on track 4. Don’t quote me. Yes I have the manual, but I haven’t read it yet. But I’m wondering if that sort of think is your channel 4 issue...?

Nope, it doesn't play tapes. As soon as I power it up, it gives a noise like its trying to do something and within a second or two the lights start flashing.... all three.....

I followed how the headblock worked and followed it back to the cam on the gear. I'm assuming this is "gear c"?

49690876832_ca13910d71.jpg

I think I'm going to just take it apart and inspect it and clean it up......probably needs it after 30 years of wear and tear anyway.....

after that is done, I'll take a look at channel 4. I think I can still power it up for the mixer portion and get a better handle on what needs to be done...

I’m not sure from your picture or description of the mechanics if we’re both talking about gear C, but your description of the symptoms definitely *sounds* like a gear C problem. Again, either it’s cracked/broken, or it’s hub is gummed up. When you disassemble it will be obvious in either case.

If I have a chance tonight I’ll actually take a look at the manual regarding channel options for sync, n/r and pulse tone.

So double check the channel 4 switches on the back by the jacks...there is one labeled MODE and that should be set to AUDIO, and there is one for OUTPUT LEVEL and that should be set to NORMAL (-10dBv).

sorry for not getting back on this. I don't know why, but for my mental health during these trying times, my wife has decided that rather than hang out in a room with old recording equipment, I should be tiling the kitchen and painting the house instead.

Alright.... so going into this 134 a bit, I found my gear problem. It was "Gear C".

49705126473_32bdb9c654_b.jpg

49705979277_5a0947b902_b.jpg

You can see in the picture, the gear teeth have been stripped off. I called Tascam and they said it had been discontinued, and no parts were available. So I think I'm kind of stuck here unless anyone knows another source for "Gear C". My only other thought was if the gear didn't go around 360 degrees, I may be able to reorient it. but I'm betting that gear needs to go all the way around.

Anyone have any ideas?

As always...thanks....

Thanks for the link SB. I’ve contacted him. Hopefully the 122 gear would work. Do you happen to know the “gear c” part number?

I can get it, but it will be different from the 122 series part even if it’s the same part. Teac often used different part numbers pertaining to each model in which a part was used even if it was the same physical part.

Thanks SB... Skywave is sending one this way. Should be here Wednesday.

We are finishing up the kitchen tile today, so I hope to look at that channel 4 problem this afternoon.

This quarantine/isolation thing is really knocking out my honeydo list.....

I have been using the 9278377600 but regardless of numbers which don't make any difference anymore if they can not supply it, I just call it Gear C and in the picture you show it is very much like the picture I send to clients that contact me to make sure it is the right part. They used this gear in 8 different transports now.
The flashing LED indicate the mechanical processor is confused and can not make the mechanism get to the place it is suppose to go and the cause is the defective gear. I have been selling them all over the World not at the $80 each price I found on E nay but for $30 dictated by the cost to have them made in 2 and 3 at a time by a machinist in TN. He has made me 5 batches so far. I have had to lay out up to $900 for some orders. They may not be $2.00 but they are made with precision and of a much better resin than what was used 30 years ago. I have had NO failures of those sold so far and I have used a bunch myself on my bench. Clean out all old grease and put in Lubriplate 105 and the mechanism will fly to the mode demanded.

Attachments

• Gear C-1.jpg
    Gear C-1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 6
Thank you Skywave and Sweetbeats!!! A truly collaborative effort. Skywave the gear worked perfect on the 134. Add it to your list of recorders it works on. Added the Lubriplate 105 like you suggested. Easy to replace too. Although the old gear was pretty brittle.

49724369388_f8e4979892_z.jpg

SB I checked what you wanted me to,

So double check the channel 4 switches on the back by the jacks...there is one labeled MODE and that should be set to AUDIO, and there is one for OUTPUT LEVEL and that should be set to NORMAL (-10dBv).

One was set to HIGH

49725219392_65b7c46e58_z.jpg

I also deoxified the RCA jacks on all the channels because I could feel a bit of corrosion on em. Now Channel 4 is as clear as the others.

and the tape deck works!!!!

49724900876_604488e01f_z.jpg

I'm going to be putting it through the paces this afternoon, and hopefully I'll have a Tascam 234 for sale soon.

Thanks again for all your help on this one.

Awesome, Brad!

:guitar:

Hope to have the same success with mine!

Kudos to [MENTION=130918]skywaveTDR[/MENTION] for having these rare parts available and reasonably priced.

Brad, did you ever have success with Tascam regarding the availability of the manual set?

Brad, did you ever have success with Tascam regarding the availability of the manual set?

Well not really, and it was my fault. I was asking the parts lady about possible solutions to the gear problem and she didn't know of any except for buying another deck. Since I wasn't going to buy another tape player, I thought I'd better save my money. I should have asked though....

Curious thing about the 134. when the tape rewinds all the way, it doesn't seem to have a hard stop. It's almost like it slowly pulls on the tape until it gets a current spike and then quits rewinding (about 1 second after the tape stops)

<completely disjointed subject change. but relates to why I am not currently pursuing the 134 manual> Right now we are not going anywhere, but we may be traveling again. If we do, the space to store my equipment in the motorhome we have picked out is smaller than what we had before. I'm not sure a rack mounted system will work in there... and with the shutdown, I can't get in there to measure... I may be back down to a portastudio again....and if its that, I'll have to use a 424 so I can have the dual tape speeds (that was my beat up one I talked about in the first post. I may find a better one and fix it, then keep the other one for parts).

...just like everything else, everything's up in the air.....

Well I put this little tape player through its paces, and have to say I am very happy with it. It sounds great!!! I do have to figure out the Dolby on it as I am not used to that yet. There is a little noticeable hissing without any Dolby, so I just need to look at it a bit.

A problem did come up though. The first time I hit rewind, it wouldn't rewind. After that it started rewinding, but when it came to a stop, it would hesitate before it shut off. Also the shuttle function would only work in fast forward and not reverse..... so it was back to my bench to see if I could find the problem.... I think I did.....
49757675551_a74c37118a_b.jpg

I know the photo is blurry, but there was a split in what I will call the idler tire. I went off to youtube and found a video of a guy taking apart a Tascam 122 MkIII. It looked like the same mechanism (it was the same mechanism), so it was off to eBay to order a 122 tire. When it came though it was nowhere near the same size. (the two in the bag are the ones I ordered).

49757984012_9e70f73df1_b.jpg

I went to the parts list and Tascam does not have a part number for the tire. I don't want to end up doing the same thing by ordering another wrong part. <full disclaimer here- I should have known better as I have replaced the 234 idler tires and had the old ones in a box. I should have looked.....>

Does anyone know where I can order the correct Tascam 134 (...or 122 Mk III) idler rubber????

Thanks,

Brad

Brad do you have a dial caliper or something with which you can relatively accurately measure the bad tire from the 134? I can compare with some spares I have for a couple different decks here and see if I can point you in the direction of a suitable replacement tire.

Brad do you have a dial caliper or something with which you can relatively accurately measure the bad tire from the 134? I can compare with some spares I have for a couple different decks here and see if I can point you in the direction of a suitable replacement tire.

I do.... Here's pics for somone elses future reference (all dimensions in inches)
OD=.470
ID=.270
Thickness-.100
49759007477_fcc386ff1c_b.jpg

49758149068_1a705b346b_b.jpg

49758682311_1bbd437bbb_b.jpg

Dang. Everything I have here (which is for the mkI 112 and 122) is about 0.740” OD, 0.540” ID and 0.100” thickness.

Hm!

The reason there’s no specific part number for the tire is they only sold the whole idler assembly. But the tire can be replaced. Might be time to look in the plumbing section at your hardware store, which of course right now is a bad time for that. McMaster Carr has an online catalog...might be able to find a suitable part now that you know the dims.

Anybody else know anything more?

Back