Tascam 1/2" 8-track

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I may have the opportunity to pick up a Tascam 1/2" 8-track pretty cheap. I'm pretty happy recording with my DAW but I'm pretty curious about multitrack tape. Assuming the machine is in as good condition (low hours) as they say...

I'm worried about escalating gear needs.

For analog mixing I have only an Alesis Studio 24. Outboard pre is an Art Dual Tube MP. I have a couple outboard EQ's (Art Tube Eq's....I know, I know...). An old dbx dual compressor that gathers dust now that I have an RNC. Pretty minimal mics: a groove tubes 5sm, 2 Nady SCM900's, 2 AKG c1000s, 2 57's.

With this equiptment will I be able to do any justice to the 8-track?

I am crazy to concider tracking to tape then transfering to the DAW for effect processing and mixing?

Thankee, thankee.
Chris

Why not? Tracking to tape and then bumping it to Protools (or whatever) is what alot of studios do nowadays. There's something about the "sound" of tape that's just real special. On drums ya just can't beat it.

Yes, if you can get one cheap, why not?? Your equipment sounds fine...don't get too hung up on the whole gear trip!

You mean, "Am I crazy?" ;)

Go for it, Chris. Will it be as cost effective, accurate and offer the ease of manipulation as the DAW? Never.
But there's nothing as testosterone inspiring as those reels spinning while that awesome analog music screams out the speakers! It's a "gear junkie thing".

Post pictures when you get it!

The 38 is a great 8-track.

Find one for a low price, and you won't be disappointed.

There is a characteristically "big" sound, a full sound you get on 1/2" reel analog 8-track, that you just don't get on other formats, including digital.

Tascam 80-8

Two of the songs from my first album were recorded on the 80-8 and they do sound huge, there is no better word to describe it, Paul.

Back