Tape recording problems!!!

jcal810

I'm trying to record on a Yamaha MT8X multitrack cassette recorder and when I hit record, it only records for 8 seconds exactly. When I hit play..it plays the tape for 8 seconds exactly then stops. While its playing or recording for these 8 seconds, the stop button becomes useless. I've downloaded the user manual from the Yamaha website and did exactly what it said, but there's no mention about this problem I'm having. Does anybody know how to record for longer than 8 seconds on this thing???

Have you inadvertently set up some kind of A to B rehearsal/auto punch loop that needs to be cleared?

Or, have you tried powering off the unit to clear the loop?

And if those are not the issue, there might be a mechanical issue with a cam drive wheel or belt that's worn out. And if so, it's off to a repair shop to change the part.

Cheers! :)

Tape probs

Greetings,
I've had that prob too! (with 4 - trck tho) When powering down the unit, you may need to completely unplug it for 10 + sec's!
Also: It may not be 'transporting' smoothly and is possibly detected by a tension sensor.
The solution may be as simple as cleaning or lubing! Never encountered a bad sensor tho it's possible. I once had to replace the control button rack for similar prob with stop button on a cassett four track.
Happy troubleshooting
SNDGUY

I think that is what the "8" in "Yamaha MT8X" stands for.

Kidding... I'm a kidder. Just thought I'd drop by and add a little levity to what I am sure is a very frustrating situation.

Have you successfully recorded on this machine in the past, or is this your first effort?

Will it Play beyond the 8 second mark?It sounds like it is reaching the end of the tape or thinks it is.

Does Fast Forward work? Perhaps there is a physical defect in the cassette tape. Make sure you can FF past the 8 second mark. And try a new tape. And make sure it is seated correctly.

any luck with the mt8x?

I am having this exact same problem, and i found this, this dude also seems to be the exact same problem.
fixya.com/support/t498502-yahama_mt8x_8_track_mixer_cassette_unit

anyone have any ideas?, everything seems to be working, except i can only play, record in 8 second incriments. Also, 1 out of every 10 times, it plays normal like it should. plz help!

Back