Tape recommendations for Tascam Cassette machines

mdainsd

Hey all..,

I normally do all my recording on 2" tape and have it down. I always use Ampex 499. Also use the same for 1/4" mix.

But a recent project has me experimenting with a decidedly simplistic recording situation.

I am in the process of recording a black metal band in mono using my Nagra field recorder. So far so good. Its a fun learning experience, trying to get everything balanced just so and picked up on one mic in one pass. We have a ways to go, but so far so good.

But now, ive been asked to record it to cassette (in stereo, oh my gosh!). I have several Tascams of the 112 124 type, there is even a high speed machine somewhere around here. I have only used them to get material off of cassettes. But this is where I am out of my wheel house....

What tape type and length should I be using? I thought I had read here Maxell of the high bias or metal type and no longer in length than 60 minutes. Is this right?

Thanks

A metal tape formulation would give you the best high end response and allow for a bit more level slamming without audible distortion. Any major brand name formulation would do the trick, Maxell, TDK or Sony, though the 112 and 122 series are set up for their own brand tapes: Teac Cobalt and Studio, (the metal reel looking tapes) are the bomb on those decks! But good luck finding any that cost less then a high class hooker! :D

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost.

Any thoughts on length? C90s seem too delicate.

OMFG! 175 bucks for a cassette? WTF? Thats more than I pay for new 2" tape. It better sound like a million bucks

C-90's are not too delicate on a quality transport mechanism but for those not assured by decent engineering, C-60-s will deliver peace of mind and 30 minutes less tape to record on. :D

Looks like you found the ebay auctions for those Teac tapes! :laughings:

Cheers! :)

I'm not a big metal tape fan for live or tracking recording stages except duplication, so I'll recommend hi bias (CrO2). TDK SA or their top end high bias, SA-X. Or Maxell XLII, or their top end high bias, XLII-S. 90-minute tapes are fine, but if doing a lot of retakes, especially cassette multitracking, 60-minute are best. I've done a lot of recording with both C-60 and C-90 with no problems, but I have known others where C-90's have stretched and even broken with heavy use, depending on machine. Anything above C-90 length is definitely asking for trouble, so avoid C-100, C-120, etc.

My personal favs for the last three decades or so are TDK SA and SA-X. TDK Pro series, SM and SM-X have SA and SA-X tape in allegedly better cassette shells, but I've never been able to tell the difference in use.

I've been trying out cassette brands that are still available, if you want something you can buy a rather large stock of, National Audio Company has BASF 771 tape that I really like. They say a minimum order of 80 cassettes, but if you contact them directly I'm sure they'd let you purchase a small amount to try out.

Thank you for the input(s) guys! I'll probably try as many of the suggestions as I can sans the Teac Cobalt and Studio...:eek:

Attachments

• 51HX7JL0-ML.jpg
    51HX7JL0-ML.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 51r8TrNwM1L.jpg
    51r8TrNwM1L.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 45
Back in the cassette days I was a big fan of TDK SA tape, always gave the best results for price. Have a look around some CD stores, my local store still has boxes of 10 on the shelf that no one wants.

Alan.

Back