Tape recommendations for Akai X-150D

famous beagle

So I have one of these units on its way. It's supposed to be 100% fully functional and in great shape. Assuming that's true, I'm going to need to get a few things---tape being one of them.

I scoured the entire owner's manual, service manual, and sales brochure for this unit and never once saw a recommendation on which type of tape to use. The only thing it ever mentioned was 1200 feet.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Here's a video of the same recorder:
AKAI X-150D sound quality - YouTube

Thanks!

I have one here. Sound is amazing or was. Cams shattered. But before that, it sounded great. I’m not sure why, to my ears it sounds better than most other rtr machines.
Maybe the crossfield heads or the heads themselves they are glass heads or something. The electronics? Whatever it is that little thing sounded great!
I’m looking for after market cams, if I can’t find some I’m thinking of rigging it so I can shift gears and play record with it.

There’s some kind of “shimmer” in the sound is how I would describe it.

I have one here. Sound is amazing or was. Cams shattered. But before that, it sounded great. I’m not sure why, to my ears it sounds better than most other rtr machines.
Maybe the crossfield heads or the heads themselves they are glass heads or something. The electronics? Whatever it is that little thing sounded great!
I’m looking for after market cams, if I can’t find some I’m thinking of rigging it so I can shift gears and play record with it.

There’s some kind of “shimmer” in the sound is how I would describe it.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the cams, you can get a set from Reel Pro Sound Guys. They're 3D printed plastic, but they're supposedly more durable than the originals, are made in USA, and come with a lifetime warranty.

THE REEL PRO SOUND GUYS STORE

Back