Tape machine windfall, now I need noise reduction

lo.fi.love

Functionally obsessed.
Some interesting things have happened lately, and my stable now houses these fine steeds:

1. Otari MX-5050 MKIII-2
2. 2x Tascam 34b
3. Tascam 48
4. An old Akai deck

So if you count all of the tracks/channels, I'm up to... 20 channels. I currently have 12 channels of dbx noise reduction (6x dbx 150x).

I would like to find a compact solution to my need noise reduction needs. Each pair of dbx 150x modules takes up one rack space, and I don't like the idea of buying more 150x's and using up 5 rack spaces.

Is there a better solution out there? Maybe an old Tascam product?

Meanwhile, I need to do some really clever thinking because I'm running out of space in my bedroom :eek:

lo.fi...

Can't beat 8-channels of Type I n/r in 2U with a pair of DX-4D's...

Wish I had a set to sell you with the 48 but I've gotta keep mine for the 58.

Keep watch on eBay as they come up pretty frequently and channel-channel cost is comparable to the 150X's anyway.

My 2p.

If its the ones I'm thinking of, they look pretty scuffed up and don't have the rack ears...just FYI.

If its the ones I'm thinking of, they look pretty scuffed up and don't have the rack ears...just FYI.

They're the same ones. I'm just keeping an eye on them to see what happens. I suppose I'm not in a hurry, since I recognize that I'll need to spend a tidy little stack of money on accessories for my revised recording setup.

Oh, boy, and then there's mics, stands... *sigh*

dbx made a nice eight channel I believe it was the 158. Also, I think the 155 was a four channel model, I saw one on ebay not too long ago as a pair with rack mount (so 8 channels) If you are really flush you could locate a dolby rack, these can have up to 24 modules. I have seen them on ebay for teh $1000s but I've seen one or two Dolby A units go for about $800 or so with 16 channels...

Id have to vote for the tascam dx-4d,s also. No fuss no adjusting just plug them in and go.

I managed to find two DX-4Ds locally on Craigslist, and I'm going to pick them up on Friday. $70 for the pair.

No rack ears, though. I'll make some at my friend's shop. Shouldn't be too difficult, I think. Failing that, I'll just velcro-tape one of them to the bottom of the road rack case that I'll be lugging to shows for live recording.

Back